1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andrew Luck retiring from NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 24, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Cameron Diaz

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Does the world have the same reaction if Antonio Brown, Zeke Elliott, Todd Gurley, Cam Newton or Odell Beckham started shaking hands during the next preseason game and quit?

One guys quit is another guys retire.

This might be a total thread jack, but I think it’s worth talking about.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Grace had already screwed her way through Hollywood, so ...

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The resulting reaction to any of those five walking away would be greater than Luck.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

but boxing has, for decades, going back to the turn of the last century.

Plenty of ambivalence, even when it was bigger than football.

We've always questioned our love for the gladiatorial - even as we've indulged it.

TowelWaver likes this.
  6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I mean, they have the right to do that. And others have the right to call them entitled shits.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I just get tired of making excuses for assholes being assholes.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Joe Webb was one of the best QBs to play at UAB. This is his 9th season as a backup QB, although he has also played at RB and WR and been on special teams for the four teams he's played for. He's making 900k this season. I feel good for the guy. He caught on in the league, made some money, and made himself valuable enough that he has earned his NFL pension. He's made far more money than in any other job he'd have gotten. He's spent a lot of time holding a clipboard and he hasn't gotten broken up physically.

Even this limited career is far better than what most journeyman NFL players get.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Please restrict your ongoing attacks on all things liberal to the politics thread. Thank you.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

1. I agree that boxing attracted it - because it was popular.

2. When we start with questioning "our" love, I think it's best to question one's own love. Own that first, then let's see.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Last I checked, lacerated organs were not often considered occupational hazards of architecture.

sgreenwell and JC like this.
  12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

My hot take: Luck’s agent reads sj.com. He saw the Ryan HOF thread where Luck never came out. Tells Luck, “look, babe, the creme de la creme of the sports world don’t even care. You aint on the Hall radar. it’s time to cash out the chips. Maybe take up a cause. You can be the white kaepernick.”

Draft saved Draft deleted