1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andrew Luck going back to Stanford -- skipping NFL draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 6, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I said at the time that Peyton Manning staying his senior year was evidence he wouldn't be the type of player who could handle the NFL. My argument was that if he really liked college so much that he was willing to forgo big money when it was right in front of him, he wouldn't be able to adapt to the rigors of the NFL, especially as a franchise QB, that he wouldn't be the type of ultracompetitor an NFL QB needs to be. I was slightly askew in my take there, and I mention this not to prove how stupid I am (at this point, that's not necessary), but to reiterate that, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, we have no fucking clue what makes a person like Andrew Luck tick, and to berate him for making a "bad choice" is pretty silly.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The critics are showing that all they care about is $$$.

Why can't a guy simply decide that he's more concerned with enjoying what lies ahead of him instead of rushing everything in the name of $$$? So he delays free agency a year, is that a huge deal in the grand scheme of things? What is more rewarding, getting up for a 11 am Psych 101 class or getting berated for being late to your 8 am QB session? Going to the neighborhood Grad Night with your buddies on Thursday night in October or going home to your empty condo with no furniture (except an XBox and HDTV) and your playbook?

Why not laud him for spurning the almight $$ for once? Why rush chasing professional dollars? My cousin told me when I was a kid, "don't rush working, you'll have the rest of your life to do that."

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't think the league has addressed this but after the NHL lockout I believe the NHL set their draft order via lottery. Somebody from NHLSportsJournalists.com can probably shed more light on that.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think of conspiracy theories as to how Harbaugh can come up with the No. 1 pick and Luck. :)

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That is exactly what happened.

6. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Somehow we've reached a place in our society where a kid who wants to stay in school, play out his college years and earn his degree is criticized.

Sad.

I'll be rooting for him next season.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Tim Duncan did the same thing. Didn't hurt him.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yes it did. He was sentenced to San Antonio for 15 years!

9. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

....where he won titles, mvp's and built a hall-of-fame career.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yes, but he had to be in San Antonio.

11. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Never been there so I can't comment on it. Heard wonderful things though. In terms of pro cities it's a bit more under the radar but then again so is Duncan's personality. Hard to imagine him in a place like LA or NY. A low-key place like San Antonio seems like a good fit for him.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What is wrong with caring about money?

It makes the world go 'round.

Draft saved Draft deleted