1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andrew Luck going back to Stanford -- skipping NFL draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe the Niners will sign him to become their coach... in 2012.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Smart move by a smart kid.
    He'll be playing next year while the NFL players are locked out of camp.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Going back for another year didn't hurt Peyton Manning.

Can you draft players who are still playing in college, but haven't declared for the draft? Because I might just pull a Celtics-Larry Bird if I'm a GM.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Can't he go back and get that later if it's important?

I hate when guys go back to school in these kind of circumstances.

5. Mizzougrad96

If he was leaving Sam Bradford money on the table I'd say he was an idiot. Doesn't sound like he is.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The Panthers will draft Rick Robey.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Sam Bradford did the same thing and still was drafted No. 1. Granted Bradford got hurt and missed most of his senior year, but Luck could retool and get better. Luck a) wants his degree, and certainly a kid who's going to Stanford is going to have that as a goal b) the CBA mess should scare kids coming out in the draft this year. He can sit back and play in college while Cam Newton watches from home because there is an NFL work stoppage. c) He doesn't have to go to Carolina, but who knows where he'll end up next year.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why would you hate it? He's very happy in school and he knows the money will be there in some form when he does leave. And once the money is there, he'll never make friends like the ones he has now, because everyone is going to want a piece of him.

9. Mizzougrad96

The CBA mess could be bad for rookies, especially quarterbacks. It's possible there will be no off-season workouts and if a deal is done at the final hour, they could be way behind when the season starts and it will almost be like they held out and missed camp.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just because I've seen too many guys drop in the draft after going back for a year.

Ultimately, of course, it's his values and his decision. If I were writing a column, that's probably where I would go with it. That none of us can presume to know what is in another person's heart.

But from a purely economics/rational standpoint, it's a tough decision to justify, and the risk/reward doesn't add up.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Stunned.

12. Mizzougrad96

Sounds like the real idiot here is Jake Locker.

Draft saved Draft deleted