1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andre Johnson - Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Mar 10, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Let's not act like the numbers Johnson has put up now are final. I don't see any reason he couldn't play 3 or more seasons in Indy if he stays healthy.

If he can put up an average of 75-800-3 over the next three seasons, he'll be third on the all-time receptions list and second on the receiving yards list.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Right. If he retired today, I don't think he gets in, but if he has two more respectable seasons, I think it would be a much different conversation.

3. JackReacher

Who else to the Colts have at WR? Wayne is gone, right? Is it just Johnson (if/when he signs) and Hilton as the top targets? I wouldn't doubt that Johnson has a 100-1300-7 season in him with Luck throwing him the ball.

4. RecoveringJournalist

With Hilton there, Johnson would be facing the No. 2 corner in most games.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

1. Largent wasn't some nobody. He was an elite player. 2. I wouldn't say the running game was still king. In that era, most teams were passing more than they ran. That includes Seattle, which had more passing attempts than rushing attempts over the course of Largent's career (and that isn't even including sacks, which happened quite a bit with Krieg at QB).

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

They've still got Moncrief, and they signed Cris Carter's kid. They're pretty clearly the 3-4 receivers if Johnson goes there, but there's definitely potential. Moncrief had a couple of big games this year.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Krieg is hardly a Hall of Famer, but he threw the ball a lot. He's got to be in the top 20 all-time in passing yards.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Houston also lead the league in rush attempts for a lot of the years Johnson was there.

9. RecoveringJournalist

True, but Schaub had three 4,000 yard seasons with Johnson there.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He's 17th now, but if my math is right he was in the top 10 when he retired.
    Largent also had Jim Zorn, who was competent for a while, throwing to him.

11. JackReacher

And Johnson had 1,569, 1,216, and 1,598 yards in those three seasons. He caught like 27% of Schaub's TDs in those three years, too.

12. RecoveringJournalist

Near as I can tell, he would have been 7th or 8th when he retired. Great point on Zorn.

Draft saved Draft deleted