1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andre Johnson - Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Mar 10, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Johnson caught 85 balls last year, I don't think he's done quite yet.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Seattle and Indy are perfect fits.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If you've ever been outscored by a defensive teammate, you don't get into Canton.

LongTimeListener and JackReacher like this.
  4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Oops. I remember the off-year(s), guess I wasn't paying enough attention to the comeback.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Nyet.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Even if he falls off a cliff going forward, which I don't he will, he's in. Five seasons with at least 100 catches, three with 1,500 yards and another at 1,400. He's got 7 1,000-yard seasons and is 90 total yards from having nine in 12 years.

He has three of the top 25 yards seasons. Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, Calvin Johnson and Torry Holt are next with two.

He's ninth all-time in catches and if he got 100 catches in 2015 he'd jump to 3rd. 83 gets him to fifth. 67 gets him to sixth

He's 12th all-time in yards. 500 yards in 2015 gets him to ninth. 1,000 gets him to seventh.

The low number of TDs (he is tied for 58th but one more gets him to 50th and four gets him to 39th) is tied to this -- four seasons of David Carr (59 TDs in 76 games), seven seasons of Matt Schaub (124 TDs in 90 games) and last year's leading passer was Ryan Fitzpatrick (17 TDs in 12 games) That's 200 in 178 games by the main QBs. There have been less than 250 total passing touchdowns in Johnson's 13-year career. He has 26 percent of them.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think he's close, but he needs the TD total to come up. Assuming he winds up in Seattle or Indy, I think that will happen.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If Johnson goes to Indy and catches 18 TDs next season, does that pretty much show that his TD totals have been sunk by shitty QBs?

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think we can come to that conclusion now.

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. Mr. Sunshine

Hall of Fame players find ways into the end zone. Steve Largent scored 100 TDS with Jim Zorn and Dave Krieg during a time when passing was generally frowned upon. Johnson has been more than a compiler, but he's never been the type of playmaker that is synonymous with HOFers.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

Passing was generally frowned on? Geez Louise, he didn't play in the 1940s. Largent came in just as the league changed the rules to open up the passing game (he started in 1976, the rules changed after the '77 season). It was the era of Air Coryell, Dan Marino, the West Coast offense, etc. Just for reference, Largent only led the league in receiving yardage twice in his 14 NFL seasons and NEVER led the league in receiving touchdowns. In fact, he only reached double-digit TDs three times in 14 seasons (his career high was 12 in 1984).

12. Mr. Sunshine

A small white dude surrounded by no one special caught 100 TDS when the running game was still king in the NFL. A guy with Johnson's size and strength playing in the golden era of passing offense should be embarrassed by his TD totals.

Draft saved Draft deleted