1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andre Johnson - Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Mar 10, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

When he was cut by the Texans yesterday, I read in several places where he was referred to as "Hall of Fame lock"

He might get in, but I don't see him as anything close to a lock. He is really light on touchdowns (64) but does he get a pass because he never played with a great quarterback? Owens and Moss have almost 100 more touchdowns than him.

Thoughts?

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'd guess no. The fall was too fast & extreme.

4. RecoveringJournalist

I think he has a chance, but I think a lot depends on what happens over the next year or two. If he's smart, he goes to Indy or Seattle and if he can have a couple 1,000-yard, 10 TD seasons, I think he may be looked at differently.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

With the notable exception of TD catches, Johnson's numbers across the board are as good and in most cases better than Larry Fitzgerald's.

Just sayin'.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. His decline hasn't been fast and extreme. I'd bet he's still more than capable of catching 90-100 passes for 1200+ yards and a half dozen TDs with the right team. Apparently, his brother said he wants to play for GB, Indy, SEA, or NE. Pretty smart move on his part.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Fitzgerald will get in based on one incredible postseason. You're right about his relative body of work.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The difference is I don't think Fitzgerald is done.

9. RecoveringJournalist

You're right, but touchdown catches mean a lot. I think Stallworth is the only WR from the Super Bowl Era who has fewer receiving TDs than Johnson, and 63 TDs (Stallworth's total) in the 1970s means a lot more than it would in today's pass-happy NFL.

10. RecoveringJournalist

Really? I think Johnson has more left than Fitzgerald.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What about Johnson's decline has been fast and extreme?

12. RecoveringJournalist

It hasn't been. He's only a year removed from a 1400-yard season.

I didn't watch the Texans a ton last season, but the opponent's top corner would usually be on Johnson, which opened things up for Hopkins. That might have shifted by the end of the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted