1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andre Agassi to retire after the U.S. Open

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 24, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No he shouldn't. He's gorgerous. A wax job, maybe, but the face is fine.

And my girlfriends and I were far more saddened when Pete retired than we are now, not to mention being far more jealous of Bridgette than we are of Steffi.

2. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Nothing would make me happier than if Andre figured out a way to go out with a win at the Open. Between all the ups and downs on and off the court, his career has always been a fascinating one to watch.

And he's been a super nice guy since I first met him in the juniors.

Oh, and I'd take Steffi over Pete's wife any day.

3. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Growing up, I always preferred Agassi to Sampras because, a) I related more to his rebel persona, loved the hair and the earrings, loved the quippy lines, all that stuff — and he was pretty good, too, because lots of kids love winners, and b) I had a crush on a girl in middle school who liked him more than Sampras, and I thought agreeing with her on favorite tennis players would be a way to her heart (it wasn't).

I can't wait to watch Agassi play the rest of Wimbledon and the U.S. I'm sure we'll get some excellent performances.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who has tried (and failed) at that tactic. :)

Reminds me of the Pulp Fiction quote: "Me, I can't usually get 'em cause my girlfriend's a vegetarian, which pretty much makes me a vegetarian, too." Woman likes, you like (mostly).

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Steffi has become very fine in recent years.

6. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

She was pretty fine in her playing days, as well. Remember her in Vogue? Yes, the nose is big (but so is mine), but her body was (is) spectacular.

Like so many athletes, she always looked better on the court than she did all dressed up off it.

7. Are you serious?

She had a nose you could crack a beer bottle under...

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

From the AP story:

In 1998, Agassi made the biggest one-year jump into the top 10 by moving up 122 spots to No. 6.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Agassi's mark is for male players . . . or it's a "calendar-year" record.

In 2005 Clijsters became the first player, man or woman, ever to rise from outside the Top 100 (No. 134) to No. 1 in less than year.

Won Indian Wells (March 2005) as the 134th ranked player.

Became No. 1 by advancing to the semifinals of the 2006 Australian Open (January 2006)

Draft saved Draft deleted