1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andre Agassi to retire after the U.S. Open

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 24, 2006.

1. boots

boots New Member

Now that Andre is calling it quits. Where will he rank among the all-timers?

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

You can't deny the fact that he won a career grand slam. Does that made him better than Sampras? Maybe not, but he's certainly up there.

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

The career grand slam is a nice bonus that Sampras, McEnroe, Borg and Connors don't have when it comes to all-time ranking. A great player.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think Connors could have done it, but he was banned from the French for a few years right in his prime.

Agassi: Maybe the cleanest ball striker ever. But there are a handful of better players.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I think Samparas was more consistently good, as where Agassi had a few rough stretches, injuries, etc.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He may not have been as good a player as Sampras, but I sure as hell know I enjoyed watching Andre play a lot more.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Agassi probably had more low points than any great player, some because of injury, some because he simply lost interest for extended periods of time.
    But how many guys have had their ranking drop to about 140 and come back to be No. 1 in the world 18 months later?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Don't know of any guys offhand, but Kim Clijsters did it last year. And it only took her about 9 months.

It really isn't that hard, mathematically.

If your ranking drops that low (and you're really a top player), it's likely because of inactivity (injury, or in the case of Hingis, retirement).

When you come back, you don't have many (or any) points to defend, so you can pile them up pretty quickly as long as you are playing well.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

True, BTE but Clijsters was hurt.
    Agassi went through one of his funks and actually played a couple of the challenger events to determine if he really wanted to commit to being a top player again.

10. joe

joe Active Member

Who do you think feels more fulfilled, Agassi or Sampras? I would say Agassi because of the career grand slam. He won on every surface, proving that his all-around game was better than Sampras, who flamed out repeatedly in the French. I would think knowing that you defeated the world's best on hardcourts, grass AND clay would be more gratifying than racking up a bunch of Wimbledons, but that's just me.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He also has the personality of a baked potato, and looks like he could audition for the caveman role on those Geico commercials.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Touche. He should use that $43 million in career earnings to change his face.

Draft saved Draft deleted