1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anderson Silva's leg was not supposed to do that

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ten years ago, I'd have agreed with you. Now? I think it's genuinely evolved as a sport -- at least at the upper levels -- and I'm not even a casual fan of MMA.
    It's not just two guys bashing each other's head in. There's a recognizable strategy to it, as well as obvious technique and skill required. As far as training, technique and strategy go, it's at least on the same level as boxing. If you ever talk to a pro MMA fighter, it might surprise you how cerebral they are about the sport.

My biggest problem with MMA isn't the brutality. It's the meathead culture that surrounds it, and even more the randomness of it. You have guys with five or six pro fights winning titles, getting touted as the next big thing, then they lose two fights later and are never heard from again. Or guys who are legitimately great, screw up for 10 seconds and find their way into an armbar.
    It's hard for me, as the below-casual fan following because he follows sports in general, to figure out who I should pay attention to. Makes it hard to find a foothold into the sport. Some of the meathead fans who want to keep it as this sort of underground thing (soccer has the same culture, albeit with more pretentiousness and less testosterone) don't help.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But it works for UFC which has built up enough name recognition that slapping any name next to UFC Champion can sell tickets. Also - the randomness helps keep fighters from gaining a lot of leverage or a competing organization from forming - not after Rampage Jackson's crash and burn killed Strikeforce.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Having Fedor Emelianenko go from The Last Emperor to tomato can in three fights didn't help them either.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was on hold with DirecTV today and the hold announcement was all about something called BKB...bare knuckle boxing. Now with improved gloves!

How long before we go back to wrestling bears?

5. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Brutal as it often looks, it's still safer than boxing long term. I truly believe that.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Weidman got $200,000 for the fight and a $200,000 bonus for winning.

What did Mayweather get for his last fight, $50 million?

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

FWIW, the highest payout to a UFC fighter is $5 million, according to Dana White.

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/9/12/4725110/dana-white-reveals-highest-amount-paid-to-one-ufc-fighter-ahead-of

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Nah, he was screaming like a banshee.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Typical sleazebag promoter that he is, White makes far more money off these events than do any of his fighters.

Draft saved Draft deleted