1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anderson Silva is Angry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Talking of the UFC, Joe Rogan got his BJJ Black Belt this past week. Afterwards he gave a nice little speech.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

From the subject line, thought this was going to be a goof on Anderson Cooper/Curtis Sliwa.

I'll be running along, now.

3. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I'm really looking forward to Silva-Sonnen II. Sonnen is a pro wrestling type guy with his smack talk, but for the most part, he's backed it up. As for the first fight, I do think there's a good chance Silva took him lightly and got pounded for it.
    One thing's for sure, though. Both of them will be ready to go (barring some training camp injury we don't know about) this go-around and Saturday night should be a heck of a fight.
    As an aside, I'm glad somebody else on here besides me is an MMA fan. Good to know I'm not the lone voice crying out in the wilderness.

4. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

From the mean streets of West Linn, Oregon...

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Words can't describe how awesome that video is!

6. JosephC.Myers

Great video right there. Sonnen would make a great pro wrestler when his MMA career is over.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

An Oregonian column said the Sonnen said he was 20 plus pounds overweight six days before the weigh-in. FWIW.

8. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Some guys in MMA cut huge amounts of weight. See the article below for an extreme example.

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/3/2/2839067/ufc-fx-2-weigh-in-results-thiago-alves-gains-30-pounds-three-hours-dolce-diet

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Not sure what Sonnen usually walks around weighing, but that's pretty much the norm in MMA/wrestling. Most guys will cut 15-20 pounds in a few days, then put it all back on for the fight.

The wrestling guys like Sonnen have a distinct advantage over most MMA guys because wrestlers have been cutting weight for years. It's become a problem in high school wrestling with lots of guys suffering from dehydration before meets.

10. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

One of my friends in high school used to walk around the day of a weigh-in eating nothing and doing nothing but spitting so he could make weight before a meet. He had permission from the teachers to carry around a cup that he would spit into over and over to try to get any extra water out of his system. He literally would not swallow his own saliva for a day.

Which is a big reason why I resisted the wrestling coach's efforts to get me on the team.

11. JosephC.Myers

+1 on this. It's normal for guys to be as much as between 5 and 10 pounds over the day before the weigh-in and then just cut the extra weight the day of the weigh-in. It's also true wrestlers have more experience with it.
    However, people putting back on 10, 20 or however many pounds after the weigh-in is a bit extreme and has to take a toll on their body.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't watch MMA but I have seen Sonnen mouthing off on TV over the last couple of weeks and he is pretty entertaining. Don't know if he can back it up, at first glance a record of 27-11-1 doesn't look good in any discipline unless you are going for the Cy Young Award or Vezina Trophy.

Draft saved Draft deleted