1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anderson, SC shakeup, part deux

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigRed, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

This is not an issue at this point. John's position was filled months ago. His most recent position, as people said, was as an occassional columnist and compiler of the local golf notebook.

If either of you wanted to take over the section, the move should have been made long ago.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Not what I was saying. I was trying to convey to Songbird that the section has a long, proud history of overachieving and that it's presumptuous to believe someone could easily get a lot more out of those resources.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I'm sorry to hear that Sam.... hopefully the good folks at the Independent-Mail will be easier to deal with from here forth. Yes, Scripps does take a lot of its Clemson coverage from the I-M.... and I am sorry if you had to deal with Mr. Brasier. Hopefully your experiences will be more pleasant from here on out. And if Mr. Brasier was "pantsed" in front of his staff, it's only karma working its beautiful magic.

4. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

While Sam Mills is a friend, I will say the situation he describes was a little overblown; and if there was any sort of derision/uncooperation, it was from the desk in Anderson -- including myself -- not the SE.

There are good people, including some friends of mine, in Anderson still, including in sports, so this isn't directed at everyone. But yeah, I'm sure now that John is gone, the fine, upstanding, honest, "good people" there who don't go behind people's backs will take that paper to heights it hasn't seen in years. And if they don't, I'm sure the pipeline will simply bring in someone to replace the ones who don't accomplish that goal.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Word is while some of the news-siders in Anderson were apparently in relative shock over Brasier's lack of a two-week notice (you'd have to know some of them to understand), noone there is broken up by him walking on less than a day's notice, or at all.
    He's better off -- doesn't have to deal with feelings of being unwanted and guessing if he'll get canned -- and the paper's better off because it doesn't have to deal with paying two sports editors.
    Good luck to everyone involved.

6. boots

boots New Member

He was in a difficult situation but it wasn't as bad as many have it pegged. If it were, he would've been gone sooner.

7. I don't know anything about this specific situation but I do know the environment: The Journals are the competition. It's not unusual for someone going to work for the enemy to leave immediately. But if he was smart he would give his two weeks and let Anderson tell him to leave so he can collect his pay for at least those two weeks.

Anyone sure that didn't happen?

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Anderson's higher ups have made a habit of asking a number of employees to leave before their two weeks was up, so I would venture a guess that Brasier thought he might follow that path.

Kausler has also made a habit of not speaking to employees during their final two weeks -- which some might consider to be worse.

I don't blame Brasier.

People are fired/laid off/etc. all the time w/ little to no notice. In this case, Brasier probably saved a lot of people a lot of trouble and awkward moments by just taking off.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I'm pretty sure that didn't happen, and considering the person involved, it doesn't surprise me.

10. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I'm not going to out anyone, but your attitude to this whole situation is mildly shocking to me, given what's gone on in your career.

You mentioned karma in a previous post; I'd be wary of that very thing if I were you.

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Amen, MU. Amen. There were plenty of awkward moments during his tenure, anyway.

12. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

For what it's worth, Brasier was a nice enough guy, and to be honest, the EE Kausler is as well. If you have an opportunity to work there, I think it's a great stepping stone, and if you do your job, Kausler is actually a very easy person to work for.

Draft saved Draft deleted