1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anderson Cooper tells Andrew Sullivan: "I'm gay"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 2, 2012.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Replace "argument" with "common sense"; point stands.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's Rick Mercer who has a Jon Stewart-like weekly show on CBC. One of the regular features is "Rick Mercer's Rant" and in this one he says that high profile gays need to come out to act as role models for gay kids

This is one of CBC's highest rated programmes. Politicians practically line up to get on it

Rick Mercer has never made a big deal about his sexuality but Canadians have known he's been gay for years.

“If you're gay and you're in public life, I'm sorry, you don't have to run around with a Pride flag and bore everyone, but you can't be invisible, not any more,” he said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/watch-rick-mercers-rant-on-teen-bullying/article2215619/?from=2215606

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The news isn't that he's gay. The news is that he is publicly acknowledging that he's gay for the first time.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My first memory of Anderson Cooper was his stepping all over his anchor deskmate's lines and cravenly stealing the spotlight on CNN's 9/11 coverage. That's how he made his bones, and I've never really been sure how well that sets with me. But I hope Cooper's statements put this wide-interest nonstory to rest.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Your point is understood. I realize that it's news to some. I just question its newsworthiness.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This tweet from TimesPublicEdit, a fake account set up to appear as the NYT's public editor, is causing quite a dust-up Out There. Times' real public editor even had to disavow the feed. Damn humorous, though.

Times Public Editor‏@TimesPublicEdit

CNN is reporting that Anderson Cooper is straight

7. Point of Order

8. eiregi

eiregi Member

In other news... sky is blue sun is yellow, hey who cares, if you're cooper and this is a tag that you have to live with for the rest of your life... sure beats dahmer... cannibal... it's time to address a more important issue... Do you know that in the Buffalo, NY area they batter haddock every Friday.... and not one voice has been raised in the defense of the poor haddock... not only that, apparently the haddock are given beer before they're battered.... Oh the humanity....

9. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Anderson is a Vanderbilt. He is used to being a center of attention.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Ah the latest travails of one of the most talked about but least watched of the "big-time journalists". He may win the critics but never confuse the reviews for the box office.

I don't think this is news. Now if Cooper had said he went out on a bender with Charlie Sheen and bagged six female supermodels in one night... That would be news.

This. Isn't.

Move along.

And, Anderson, you've had every conceivable advantage in this business. Time to get yourself some viewers.

11. Point of Order

;D

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight. Being gay beats being a serial-killing cannibal. Got it.

Draft saved Draft deleted