1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anderson Cooper tells Andrew Sullivan: "I'm gay"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 2, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Disagree. Is sexual preference news at all? Unless it interferes with one's ability to accurately report the news, who cares?

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Millions of people.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't disagree about him putting himself in the public eye or the difficulty of having a private life for someone like him.

But being gay is not the same as being gray-haired or being male or being white. Gay isn't a part of your appearance. People can't instantly see it. Also, unlike being gray-haired or being male or being white, gay is part of your sexuality, which is not only something more private for most people, in the case of a gay man, it has carried a societal stigma with it traditionally, which can bring a lot of unwanted attention and bigotry. Which is why this is an issue in the first place.

To me, it's not a matter of whether it is something he should seek to hide, as you said. You are not hiding something if you choose not to talk publicly about your sexuality. You are trying to maintain an aspect of personal privacy by not making your whole life an open book for the world. Nobody feels that way about their gray hair. They do about their sexuality, though.

When I said he was in a no-win situation, what I meant was that when he took the attitude that his sexuality was a private thing, some people were out there unfairly saying, "What is he hiding." That happens. He's a celebrity.

If he addresses it and discusses his sexuality to deal with the fact that that is happening, he then got sucked into talking about something about himself he didn't want to turn into a public discussion. No matter which way he went, he couldn't win. That was what I meant.

4. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Broken down, those who admire another hero for coming out and those who will move their news watching routine to FoxNews. Until, of course, Shepard Smith comes out. Rupert Murdoch has already begun weighing the ramifications of that day.

5. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

They had this at my school, too. It was during homeroom and probably the only 15 minutes of real news that 95 percent of the kids saw in a given day. I've always wondered if there's a show like that anymore...

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ragu, I guess my point would be that being gay is about more than just sexuality...in some respects, it's akin to "being a Jew" versus "being Jewish."

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My brother's best friend had a huge crush on Rachel Maddow.

I had to be the bearer of bad news.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Meh, I don't care. I still love him. My eclectic tastes aren't even drawn on sexuality lines. :D

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Shep Smith has a huge secret in his closet, but it ain't about his sexuality. At least, according to close friends who worked on his show for years.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It'll be nice when we get to the day when sexual preference isn't news. I couldn't care less whether Anderson Cooper, or anyone else, is gay or straight.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Severed heads?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

To be fair, I care whether the guy I might be dating is gay. Also, my hairstylist if I had a male one. Other than that, not so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted