1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anderson Cooper tells Andrew Sullivan: "I'm gay"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The same day it ceases to be news when a celebrity couple goes on a date, or marries, or divorces.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Do you think all homosexuals are Democrats?

The Log Cabin Republicans would like a word.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No, I'd say it's the same day the Religious Right admit they were utterly wrong in their depictions of, and reaction to, homosexuality.

(Old, but sadly, still timely:)

http://www.pflagdetroit.org/Holy_War_OnGays.htm

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Perfect timing. CNN needed a goose after last Thursday's health care breaking-news debacle.

5. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Log Cabin Republican's weren't the ones flipping off Reagan.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You sure?

The ones flipping off Reagan were likely those who lost friends and loved ones to AIDS.

Why assume a gay man would behave a certain way, or adhere to a certain politics, just because he's gay?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Just watched an ep of West Wing last night (yeah yeah I'm a decade behind) where the head of the Black Caucus says "The Black Caucus does not vote as a bloc. We don't all believe the same things."

Same deal. God, I hope no one thinks all heterosexuals think alike.

8. dog eat dog world

Inconsistent counterpoint there, my friend. Cooper wasn't announcing his engagement. It's not a story when a celeb man announces "I like women" or a woman proclaims she's attracted to men. So is it the novelty, or the idea that to be gay is unusual or out of the ordinary...different? Or are we all to be treated the same? I thought it was the latter.

The idea of the gay movement, to me, isn't about equal rights at its forefront. It will be about special rights. When gay marriage is approved, I can see a push for Gay Pride day being a nationally-recognized holiday. Why? Should there be a "Straight Pride Day?" What the hell difference does it make if you're just PEOPLE?

9. dog eat dog world

On pure political philosophy, I think it is pretty obvious that a vast majority have flocked to the Democratic party simply because the Democrats gave them a voice. With Log Cabins, they can vocalize all they want on issues important to the GOP.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

It's news when a celebrity who a lot of people would like to have sex with who isn't clearly identified on the record with a specific sexual orientation announces.

If Anderson Cooper had announced he was straight today it would definitely be news.

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

No shit?

12. dog eat dog world

Riiiiigght. On page 32 of Entertainment Weekly, rather than page 1, 72 point headline.

Draft saved Draft deleted