1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anderson Cooper tells Andrew Sullivan: "I'm gay"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 2, 2012.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Good for him:

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/07/anderson-cooper-the-fact-is-im-gay.html

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree. Good for Anderson.

Well-written, too.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's amusing how a lot of people are saying Cooper "came out of the closet" with this. He wasnt in the closet. Not talking about your personal life at all isn't being in the closet.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

When I was in 6th grade our school showed a Channel One News program every day that was hosted by teens and produced specifically to be shown in schools. It was really well done. Anderson Cooper and Lisa Ling were the hosts. I'm happy Anderson has done so well.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, this definitely was not him "coming out"

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This fascinates me.

He has been in a no-win situation for the longest time. Everyone knows he is gay. But he wants to keep his private life his private life.

But by never discussing it, (unfairly) people lay the "why is he hiding it" thing on him (even though he's not hiding anything).

If he does acknowledge it or discuss it because of that, he was forced to make his private life a public matter, which is what he doesn't want in the first place.

So it's a no win situation.

At this point, if he really feels the way he wrote, I think he did the right thing -- given the no-win nature. His thinking must be, "There, I said it! Now can we move on?"

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

How is it a no-win? He is one of the most popular people on Earth.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Not sure how the son of a cultural icon, who himself has decided to make a living in the public eye...and make a living by asking people personal questions live on camera...can choose to have a "private" life in the first place.

Being gay is the same as being gray-haired, being male, or being white...Anderson had no choice in the matter (well, except for the hair, which he could choose to color) and, like the hair, his sex, and his race, being gay identifies him, and it's not something that a public figure should seek to hide.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed...

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dammit. At least before I had plausible deniability!

11. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Serious question:
    So if it really doesn't matter what sexual preference one has, why is this worth major headlines? When does it cease to become news every time someone comes out of the closet? When there are no closets?

Less serious:
    Does this mean he supports those who got their picture taken flipping Reagan off at the Gay Pride gala at the White House?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not soon enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted