1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anderson Cooper/60 Minutes/Cam'ron... did you watch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jason_whitlock, Apr 23, 2007.

1. yes sir

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Jason,
    Besides writing and appearing on television shows when invited, are you planning any activism to spread your message regarding this latest pop-culture issue?

3. point of order

if the right opportunity presents itself, i'm going to enter the world of pop culture and battle from that platform. no matter what, i'm going to continue to push this issue with my writing. i'm just trying to challenge people's thinking right now. people need to think about these issues. we haven't given this stuff a minute's thought. maybe one day we will genuinely thank don imus.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think Fen just had a blood vessel burst.

5. Not at all. It's a legitimate issue. If Jason can engage it, make himself a little coin in the process, god love him for it.
    It's just neither new, brave, particularly knowledgable about history or popular culture, nor anything to do with Don Imus -- and I notice that the defender of womanhood can't seem to go 20 words without taking another cheap shot at Vivian Stringer.

6. FB

i was just thinking about writing how this is all ground you've covered a million times. can i quote you in my next column?

7. No. Actually, I'd prefer that you did the following.
    1) Use some actual data to back up your assertions, particularly on your theory of a nexus between the war on drugs -- which, you will find, was really a bipartisan effort, and always has been -- and the cultural manifestations you describe. Account, at least, for the fact that major crimes went down in the 1990's just as gangsta rap was taking off.
    2) Use some actual data -- social science or otherwise -- to demonstrate that popular culture drives attitudes instead of giving voice to those attitudes already present.
    3) Explain to me why the sexism and homophobia present in the music you decry seems to bother you rather less than other parts of it.
    4) Some historical context, at least.

You can leave me out of it.
    I give you this advice as a mitzvah.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's honky-speak for a solid. ;)

9. Merci beaucoup.

10. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070423/music_nm/usa_hiphop_dc

russell simmons and ben chavis are backpedaling....

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I agree

Draft saved Draft deleted