1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anderson/Andersen in the Football Hall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cyclingwriter, Oct 6, 2011.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Since we have so many HOF threads, why not one more?

Do either Morten Andersen or Gary Anderson ever get into the Hall? Right now the "kickers" in the Hall are Lou Groza (who also was a very good tackle), George Blanda (who also played quarterback for a long time), Hornung ( who is best remembered as a running back, but kicking was a big part of his skill set in the early 1960s and why he was MVP) and Stenerud ( the only true kicker in there who got in quite frankly because he held the all -time scoring record and the voters thought it would be never eclipsed. Sort of like Hoyt Wilhelm in Cooperstown)

No true punter in the Hall. Ray Guy has been nominated many times. Shane Lechler could make a case at some point.

Was looking at Jason Hanson's stats the other day....very interesting career as well.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No and No.

Vinaitieri (sp?) will merit discussion. I don't think he will get in either.

3. Yes and Yes. And before Vinaiteri.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I think Vinatieri will be an interesting case because of all of the Super Bowl highlights, which will hurt the Anderson/Andersen firm since neither came up big in the Super Bowl.

I think Morten may have been the best long-distance kicker in league history. Gary may have been the most accurate and I vaguely remember him being a decent tackler ( or at least I have a memory of him making some open field tackles for the bad late 1980s Steelers on occasion) He may have whiffed repeatedly when I wasn't watching.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gary Anderson should be left out for missing that kick against the Falcons.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Vinatieri will make it in for the Super Bowl kicks, even though one game-winner happened because he missed a kick earlier. He also had that kick in the Tuck Rule game.

Anderson/Andersen might make it some day, although it'll take a while. Another guy to consider might by Jason Elam. Long excellent career, and he's in the 63-Yard-Club.

And Ray Guy definitely deserves to get in. Lechler, maybe someday as well.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RickStain is retired, I think he should come up witha metric to rate kickers.

20-30 kicks +1
    30-40 kicks +1.25
    40-50 kicks +1.5
    50+ kicks +2.0

20-30 miss -2
    30-40 miss -1.5
    40-50 miss - 1.25
    50+ miss - 1.0

Also give factors for kicking outdoors and game winning and game losing kicks.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Baron, agree on Guy. I think Lechler is stone-cold lock at the rate he's going.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

No punter is ever going to make the Hall of Fame.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Until Ray Guy gets in, Lechler has no shot. Ray Guy is the patron saint of punters. I don't care if someone comes along who averages 60 yards per punt and can drop it in a cup at the 2-yard line every time, no punter will make it before Guy does.

Vinatieri will be the next kicker to get in -- especially since the 2000s Patriots don't really have any stone cold locks other than Brady -- although it seems like the longer he plays the more he hurts his cause. He's been hurt a bunch the last few years. The extra Super Bowl ring with the Colts helps, but we're getting further and further away from his glory years at this point.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dick Anderson should be the first Anderson to be inducted in Pro Football HOF.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

what about Ken

Draft saved Draft deleted