1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And your Most Miserable U.S. City is .....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hank_Scorpio, Feb 18, 2010.

1. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

My hometown and my current home city are both on that list. No wonder I feel the way I do.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

People love to kick Cleveland in the nuts. Especially me. :D

But I'd think Detroit and Flint are much worse right now, with just as much shitty weather and tons more unemployment.

I could tell you 25 years ago Memphis was no garden spot (there's more to do nowadays), but St. Louis at No. 7 and KC at No. 13 are a little surprising to me.

Rockford at No. 14 is just about right — Billy Joel could've just as easily written a song about it instead of Allentown. As blue-collar as they come.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Except for the beautiful views, championship teams, affordability and great neighborhoods, sure.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bookmarked for the NBA free agent signing period.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Given the economy, I'm stunned Detroit didn't come out on top.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And...Here...We...Go...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I haven't spent that much time in Cleveland, but I'd rank it well ahead of both Buffalo and Detroit, places where I unfortunately have spent considerably more time.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm very fortunate. My mom is from Detroit. My dad is from Buffalo. They moved to Cleveland shortly after marrying.

Lucky for me, they had moved to New York by the time I was born.

I've had fun in Buffalo, but that's mostly because I'm out with family I don't see very often.

I think I read once that it has the shortest commuting time of any city in the country & that's one of the things that helps in these kind of rankings.

If you're going to live in a shitty city, you at least want to be able to get to work and then back home quickly.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Cleveland should do like Junkie and just start over.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How St. Louis can make this list is baffling. The suburbs are about the best value for housing, shopping and services in the country, the interstate system is decent, there's a light rail system, and downtown isn't so bad. True, the North Side has been decripit for decades, and the South Side is strong in the redneck, but I can think of numerous metro areas that are worse

11. printdust

printdust New Member

What the hell happened to Gary, Indiana?

12. printdust

printdust New Member

Had Buffalo lost the Bills to Toronto, they'd have won this thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted