1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And your 2009 Time Person of the Year is....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Dec 16, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I'd take affecting 300 million over affecting 155. Sully is a nice story, but shape the world for better or for worse? Don't really think so. I don't remember whom Time picked for the 2001 honor, but if they were true to the criteria, they would have picked the 9/11 terrorists. They're shaping the world even now.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

"affecting"

Sullenberger "affected" our American psyche. I didn't have a single day this year where I felt as good as that one. AAMOF, it has been far more than a year since I had. And, I am not alone.

Bernanke? Puhhhlease.

Under your criteria, the top 5 Wall Street executives should have been the choice.

Just like streakers not getting any TV time, people who FUCK things up and intentionally hurt people should NEVER get this sort of honor.

Ever.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Simon, the problem isn't that Bernanke intentionally fucked things up. His ideas were incorrect, not malicious. He BELIEVES in the system. Most people at the top of it do, after all. Same thing with Obama. Brilliant guy, but he can't quite bring himself to realize that the system is broken. He thinks it just needs more competent management.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Helicopter Ben couldn't even handle an adjustable rate mortgage.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1946375_1948023_1947253-11,00.html

TIME: Do you have a mortgage?

Bernanke: Oh, yes, we refinanced.

TIME: Oh, perfect. When?

Bernanke: About 5%. A couple of months ago.

TIME: Good time.

Bernanke: Yes. We had to do it because we had an adjustable rate mortgage and it exploded, so we had to.

TIME: So, did you get a fixed rate at 5%? I think this might be the most valuable piece of information. (Laughter.)

Bernanke: Thirty years fixed rate at a little over 5%.

The guy in charge couldn't handle his adjustable rate mortgage. Brilliant. Its a good thing for him that the Fed kept the rates low.

Draft saved Draft deleted