1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And your 2009 Time Person of the Year is....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Dec 16, 2009.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Ben Bernanke

http://www.time.com/time/specials/poylist/0,32517,1946375,00.html

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I would have gone with Jeter.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No love for Tiger? Geez...

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I gather Time's marketing department isn't involved in the POY.

Another whiff from Time.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Better than You.

6. DanOregon

Me. Me? or "You", You?

Sadly, I think "You" might have been a bit late, but hit the nail on the head when it showed that people now "choose their own news" rather than depend on a wholesaler.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Can you imagine if they'd gone with their second runner-up, "The Chinese Worker"? WTF?

8. Giggity

Giggity Member

Jesus, really? Was Lieberman their runner up?

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As asinine as this is going to sound, two of their people who mattered, the Gosselins, should have been given stronger consideration (I guess if not for the economy in the toilet). They're the zenith of the whole reality-TV, everyone's-a-star culture we have, the one where instead of running into hiding, every woman who claims she's slept with Tiger Woods comes OUT of hiding to strike a reality deal (although the one who was on Tool Academy is way ahead on that). They're endemic of how even on a smaller scale, people's desire to post everything about their lives online means that we have gone from seeking privacy to eschewing it.

10. DanOregon

The Mistress would have been a good one. It's been a while since Time honored a woman. Check out The Daily Beast's "Mistress Quiz" if you doubt that infidelity was big in 2009.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

To say the Gosselin story was the zenith would indicate the current cultural trend will be in decline now.
    I don't think that's the case.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sully, end of thread. Underscores the very best of what we are and what we can be when it really matters.

He "saved or created" 155 lives.

He said this: "(F)or 42 years, I've been making small, regular deposits in this bank of experience: education and training. And on January 15 the balance was sufficient so that I could make a very large withdrawal."

Shame on Time for not selecting him.

Draft saved Draft deleted