1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And you think we've got budget problems...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Senegal dissolves its senate in order to save $15 million.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/senegal-votes-do-away-senate-save-money

DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — Senegalese lawmakers, who are divided between a 150-seat national assembly and a 100-seat senate, voted to do away with the senate, passing a law which dissolves the institution in order to save an estimated $15 million.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

In its current state, I think we could raise $15 million to dissolve Congress.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Last poll I saw, the Congress had a "favorable" rating among only 11% of the US population.

To put that in perspective, just before the Senate voted to censure formally Sen. Joseph McCarthy back in the 1950s, Senator McCarthy had a 17% "favorable" rating in the polls.

Will Rogers once said:

“There ought to be one day - just one - when there is open season on senators.”

If he said that today, one segment of the populace would cheer and another segment would want him arrested for making "terroristic threats".

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Problem is, people hate Congress but like their own Congressman.

"MY guy got us that swell bridge . . . but THOSE guys are causing gridlock.''

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I wonder if this thread would get locked in Senegal.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It would if they still had the internet.

They shut it down to save $24.99.

7. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I'm not a fan of either. My personal feeling on Congress is they are 535 of the best white collar criminals in the country screwing America over one day at a time.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That sums it up quite well.

Draft saved Draft deleted