1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And women wonder why men avoid commitment ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Amazing how none of the married people lives are like that.

I think what many people don't realize is that life can be such a blast, even during what seems like mundane moments. I went to my parents this Sunday for Easter lunch. The kids were there. We watched TV. We ate. My 11-month old cracked everyone up. It was -- to an outsider -- boring. But I had a great time and laughed a lot. I loved every second.

99 percent of our lives won't be like the movies where we solve crimes and jump out of an exploding building in slow motion. So what? Surround yourself with people you love. You'll be happy.

Did it occur that the reason so many people's lives follow the same "script" is because that script has worked so well for so many people?

*Oh and the person that made the movie definitely doesn't have kids. Until you have them, you have no idea how completely and totaly your world gets shaken up. Boring? Not for a second.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Shit ... some people take things way too seriously.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Well said, Fudge! Nice post up there.

I love how the first reaction is, "That's not my life." For example, Pete insists it's not his life, and yet he tells us on another thread he and Mrs. Pete will be popping out #2 in June 2009. ;D

I suspect certain aspects of it are indeed all of our lives, and certain aspects are not any of our lives. One thing's clear: The man in the video isn't a sportswriter; the woman is not a sportscaster.

You can tell it was written by a man (even though it was delivered by a woman, and effectively delivered I might add) because he has no idea how the female brain really works. He just thinks he does.

What an indictment of women. That we don't think about meaningful topics-- that we don't really enjoy motherhood (we just do it to do it)-- that we don't long for something less mundane. Quite an indictment.

That said, it was creative, funny, and it did make me think.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you know, i get that more often then you think.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Everyone is all acting like women are shrews and yet, check out this hilarious video that's posted right next to that one about a couple's first dance. Don't tell me this girl doesn't totally rawk for either:

1. Agreeing to this
    2. Coming up with this idea on her own.

The choreography rules.

http://www.fliggo.com/video/AtXJ3JsB

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Well said, fudge. The nesting and nurturing, and the contentment we get from it, is part of our DNA. It's what we're programmed to do.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

They could make a Friday morning guest appearance on that Cincy station.

8. I did come off sounding a bit heavy handed, didn't I? I forgot to add that it was pretty funny, and I'm sure there are some people who marry or have kids for those reasons. But..like I said, just trying to balance work, family, kids, life is a hell of a trip.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

DD, I love you.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Sometimes, Fudgie, you just gotta laugh at yourself, instead of reacting negatively against something like that. I saw shades of myself in that video ... from when I was 28 or 29 and I rushed headlong into a humdrum relationship with Mr. Boring. Thank God, it didn't end up the same way as that video. Otherwise, I'd be divorced or in jail for murder.

I know other women like that, too, who have pushed their way into a marriage and now I have to listen to them bitch and complain about their marriage.

That said, yes, I know people who are happily married.

Stereotypes exist for a reason.

And DD, I like the Dance Party Friday video better. But that's just me. :D

11. I like it when you call me Fudgie.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

When's the stick figure video about the prototypical male midlife crisis coming out?

The one where he joins the Hair Club, wears a Speedo and runs off with his daughter's friend.

Or shows up on To Catch a Predator.

Draft saved Draft deleted