1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And why has Michael Jackson been spared eternal public damnation?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Mar 3, 2019.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I always have found it kinda strange and hypocritical that, during the height of the allegations, that radio stations stopped playing Jackson’s music. But then after he died, it was like they decided that it was safe to play his songs again.

Either take a stand or don’t take a stand.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, about the last thing I'm going to worry about is whether the public is appropriately shaming a dead artist.

A lot of great art has been created by people whose personal actions range from questionable to horrible. Ultimately every person's going to pick and choose who they're going to "cancel" and whose work they're going to enjoy, and there's not going to be any logical consistency to it. And that's fine.

If Michael Jackson deserves "eternal public damnation," what about Jimmy Page? David Bowie? Elvis? Steven Tyler, Iggy Pop, Bill Wyman? All accused of sex with people significantly underage.

(And quick side note: the evidence against Michael Jackson being a molester isn't actually all that strong. He was acquitted at trial. I don't know if he was or not, and I haven't seen the new documentary. Weird dude, but that's not criminal by itself.)

John Lennon was a complete shitbird. So was Miles Davis. Bill Withers. James Brown. Eric Clapton is a puke.

I'm a big Ryan Adams fan and I can't listen to it now. If someone else can I'm not going to fault them -- I'm not about to stop listening to Bowie.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I prefer Off The Wall to Thriller - Jacko wasn't as Wacko then.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

1. He’s been dead for years, so he isn’t molesting anyone now. That’s a big reason why the outrage has faded.

2. His estate is massive, so the line forms to the left for those people who want a go at a chunk of it.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No need to qualify that with the personal baggage. Off The Wall is a better album.

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

So, according to the Times, the reason the estate publicly feels they have a case is:
    That's a pretty thin reed. On the other hand, no one at the Times appeared to feel like this was a hill worth dying on either. That's why you get the "lurid" tag and the whole gingerly-gingerly approach.

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Molester, probably had it done to him, but he definitely did it to the kids that stayed at his place.
    Kids lied during his trial, now coming forward and jury to blame. There was evidence other than the 2 kids in the documentary.
    People really should watch before they form an opinion.
    Stinks when brilliant people who have given a lot to the world are found out to be...well, all the things that they turn out to be.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

And it’s the superior album.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

he was good at the beginning but he just went too far

exmediahack likes this.
  11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Didn't he try to defend sleeping in the same bed as young boys who were his "friends" in a 60 Minutes interview years back? What more did we need to know beyond that moment. Guy's been a known pedo for a long, long time.

*Haven't seen the doc yet

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Yep, right out in the open. all we had to do was admit the possibility.
    Also r kelly.

Draft saved Draft deleted