1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And whatever you do, don't drink at prom. Parents, I'm looking at you

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, May 10, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Saline school officials say parents were drinking in "party bus" while kids inside at prom
    Posted by David Jesse, Art Aisner | The Ann Arbor News May 09, 2008 09:08AM

While more than 900 students celebrated their junior-senior prom inside Saline High School, a group of parents were outside drinking in a rented "party bus," police and school officials said.

Police are investigating the actions of roughly 15 parents and other adults who spent part of last Saturday night in the rented bus drinking beer on the grounds of the school in Pittsfield Township, school officials said.

Township Deputy Police Director Elizabeth McGuire said the parents, who were not chaperoning the event, could face misdemeanor charges for violating state liquor laws that prohibit alcohol consumption on school grounds. There is no timeline for the investigation and police are still gathering facts, she added.

In an e-mail sent to district parents Thursday, Saline High School Principal Ben Williams chided the adults for sending contradictory messages to students.

"While we are proud of and thankful for our faculty and parent chaperones and other volunteers who ensured the atmosphere was safe and appropriate for all the students inside at Prom, we are disheartened that some adults chose to set a poor example by consuming alcohol on school grounds outside in the parking lot," he wrote.

The bus was originally rented by parents to bring the students to the prom, school Superintendent Scot Graden said.

After the students left the bus for the prom, parents got on, Graden said. There's no evidence that the students knew the parents intended to use the bus, he said.

http://blog.mlive.com/annarbornews/2008/05/saline_school_officials_say_pa.html#more

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

But did they fuck the kids? [/poindexter]

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

With the exception of this paragraph:

...I find no issue with this. Though I do find it kind of odd that the kids took the bus to the prom, then the parents met them there and got on. At least, I hope that's the case - I can't imagine any kid enjoying making that trip to prom with the parents on board. If Billy thought it was hard to find a reason to get his arm around Suzie's shoulders, imagine trying to do it with her dad watching.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll bet they thought it was a hoot, having a party as the same time as their kiddies. And knowing the area, am sure they felt it was no big deal.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would have thought one of the parents would have been smart enough to think about how every school is drug and alcohol free zones, though. If they wanted to drink on that bus, they could have done it around the corner and been OK.

6. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Yeah, what the hell, they were having a few drinks.

Unless the principal doesn't drink, he's probably been guilty of that a time or two before.

Uptight people piss me off.
    Times are tough. People have a little fun sometimes.

I'd like to root through that principal's closet and see if he's got any skeletons of his own.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Gentlemen, let's leave six inches for the Holy Ghost, please.
    /sisterseraphim/

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In this case, am guessing that it's not so much an uptight principal as it is entitled parents who feel they've done nothing wrong.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I once covered a prom (small-town weekly) in which the prom (which had kids from grades 9-12) was held in the HS gym. After three hours, they moved it to the school auditorium, where all the parents came in to watch the crowning of the king and queen and court. And the junior class was the ones that was eligible to win King and Queen, not the senior class (which I found rather bizarre).

It just blew me away that the parents came in to visit halfway through the prom. If I were the kids, I would have been like, "Mom, Dad, get out of here,"

It was a strange town that I lived in for a year.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Gary Moeller's grandson is the quarterback at this high school. Gary Moeller is big on being drunk in parking lots. This would be a great story if he were somehow involved.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

But until that point, you didn't find it strange to have to cover a prom for a news story?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not really. If I remember right (it was over 10 years ago), I think all I had to do was take pictures of the king and queen and court that night. It was a big thing each year in this little town. I didn't have to attend the entire prom (thank God!), I just had to come in during the parents visiting portion and watch each junior class couple get paraded on stage in the auditorium until the winner was announced. It was almost like a beauty pageant.

It was a VERY small town weekly, in which a woman who found two raccoons in her backyard merited a story on the increase of rabid racoons in the town. Anything, big or small, merited a story. And no, I no longer work there.

Draft saved Draft deleted