1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And we wonder why...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by In Exile, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

At 6 a.m.?[/devilsadvocate]

2. frogscribe

frogscribe Member

Whatever. This "columnist" should have known before doing a radio show. Pretty lame excuse to put blame on anyone but him(her)self.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'll let my more lengthy post stand for my most considered opinion on this thread and leave the topic to the rest of you now.

4. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I don't think most columnists would just know that kind of information on their own that quickly. And I don't think they should be expected to. That's the beat writer's job.

There was nothing wrong with the guy's point, nor the way he expressed it.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Give me a freaking break. I find it hard to believe that a big-league team's Web site and the major papers in the area wouldn't have that info posted in some form immediately. Now, if he wanted to make the point that the info was hard to find on some of the crappy Web sites out there, I'd be all for it. Nonetheless, if he is that plugged in, he should know where he can get that info quickly. I have zero issues with the folks who have called him on it. And the snide Mayberry comment just pissed me off.

6. RTJ

RTJ Member

I miss him already.

7. spud

spud Member

Hey guys, remember the glory days when In Exile used to post and we used to lampoon?

God, newspapers used to be great, huh?

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Um, you do know that was played off Howard Sprague's handle, right?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Jesus Christ people. In Exile had a perfectly valid point. Newspapers AND TEAM SITES ALIKE--especially mlb.com, which is trying to kill independent journalism much more than any other league entity--should have the team roster by 6 am the morning after it is announced. There's nothing wrong with expecting that. There's nothing wrong with needing a website to confirm the ID of the 25th man at 6 am on a Saturday. It's not like he jumped on there looking to see if Alex Rodriguez was playing Monday for the Yankees.

And just b/c he's written enough books about the local team to pay for his house doesn't mean he's a beat guy chronicling every cough, ass-scratch and nose pick of the guys vying for the last spot on the roster.

I hope In Exile, who has been a priceless resource on the book writing threads, doesn't leave. And if he does, I hope know-it-all newbie Howard Sprague, he of all eight posts, is happy, having run off one of the most reliable and trustworthy people on here. Awesome. Great fucking place this is sometimes.

10. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Guess I missed that. Read it as a shot at small-town newspaper folks. My mistake.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Thanks. Wish I'd said it.

12. Perfection!

Draft saved Draft deleted