1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And we wonder why...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by In Exile, Apr 3, 2009.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

sigh.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If you've written enough books about the team to build a new house, you should be plugged in enough with sources to give you that kind of info. Shouldn't have to look on a blog to get the roster.

Wow.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

What sight did people go to exchange information again?

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Actually, the point you were making -- quite unintentionally -- was that by failing to charge for online content the last several years, the news industry has created an atmosphere in which people actually expect information to not only be absolutely free but also readily available and easy to find. And when it's not, you all bitch as though your rights have been violated and try to convince us this is why we're failing as an industry.

Pardon me, but go to hell.

The reason you likely couldn't find that info is because the beat guy for that team, who's probably working the beat by himself after two others were laid off in the offseason, is probably on furlough this week. Or the experienced online guy who used to post that stuff got let go in a round of layoffs and some jackoff whose working part time while going to school is posting info when he "gets around to it." Or the new "cost saving" manager in charge of the newsroom places value on many areas, such as saving energy, cutting overtime and doing more with less, but doesn't see much value in reporting news.

I'll agree with you that the info should have been there for you to find. After you paid a subscription fee that compensated the reporter for busting his ass, the online guy for posting it and the newspaper itself for hosting the site.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd be madder at the team's websight for not having an updated roster.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Newb, fetch me a beer. Christ. He vented to us, just like a bunch of us do on here. Why is that a stoneable offense to you?

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I think everyone is raw right now. Fuses are short. Tempers are easily triggered. I think he could have made his point a lot better than he did, and I think he overreacted when called out, but I think a lot of people are piling on and missed the underlying point. Yep, missed it because his anger at not having the information for his benefit colored his post, but if we can all step back from the pissed-off-ed-ness to see the larger point -- yeah, the industry has put itself in a position where it isn't able to do what should be considered some of the essentials.

Deep breath, everyone. I don't think he meant it as anything more than a snapshot of where we are, but being caught without the latest info at 6 a.m. put a spin on his post that I'm sure he regrets or will regret.

We're all on the same side here. Let's not forget that.

8. This place is getting brutal. Sheesh.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

That's it. I'm out.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Cute. The newspaper industry trains its readers to expect the info for free, then gets mad when they actually go along with it.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, that's a really good point. A few years back --well, eight or nine -- we did this one really cool thing in advance of the baseball playoffs, and the next year, we didn't do it. This was during the much more formative years, when things were really shaky.

So I sent kind of a snarky e-mail to the guy in charge saying, "Do you really think your xxxxx should be at a Dolphins exhibition game if we're not going to get this (cool thing) done like we did last year?"

And he, rightfully, said, "You tell me how to do it with one person instead of four, and tell me that xxxxx has to work 150 hours a week, and sure."

He was pissed. And he was right.

12. frogscribe

frogscribe Member

Uh, pick up the phone?

Draft saved Draft deleted