1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And we wonder why...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by In Exile, Apr 3, 2009.

1. In Exile

In Exile Member

So later today I have to briefly speak on radio about the upcoming season for the Local Big League team, and want to know which of the three or four players on the bubble made the team. I think I know, but want to make sureSince the roster was just finalized yesterday, one would think it would be relatively easy to find that out, right? It is not on the team website, so I turn to several local and regional daily papers that cover the team. IN VAIN. Oh, they have stories about the guy who pops the popcorn, and about a couple roster moves, and twitters and blogs galore that mention the roster, and link to their podcasts in which they discuss the roster moves as they try to re-invent themselves in this new age, and bells and whistles and little toy cars that go zoom zoom and beep beep and all sorts of other useless crap, but NOT A SINGLE ONE has a list of the goddamn roster itself so I knew who actually made the damn team.

But I found it. On a fan blog. Several actually. And now I know why a couple of those papers are teetering on the precipice.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I.E. -- I know you're making a point about newspapers doing all the peripheral things and not the basics, but unless they're all out of date, I found rosters for every team on three of the major sports websites and the four team sites I checked.

That doesn't diminish your point whatsoever, but they seem to be out there at places other than fan blogs -- unless, again, all the rosters I'm looking at are out of date.

3. In Exile

In Exile Member

Good for you. But as I said, I checked the team website: not posted yet, and roster was announced yesterday.

4. Howard Sprague

Howard Sprague New Member

I bet that radio audience will feel awfully fortunate having someone as plugged in as you pontificating about their Local Big League team.

Seems to me you are scrambling to make sure you don't sound dumb on the air, so when you couldn't educate yourself at the snap of your fingers you decided to bitch about it.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Um, OK.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

Uhh, did you think of picking up a phone and calling the team?

as Sprague points out, what exactly are you going to tell the radio audience that they likely don't already know.

7. In Exile

In Exile Member

Gee, aren't we testy this morning? Exactly, I wanted to make sure who the last reliever was so I didn't look stupid in case I was asked about him, and at 6:00 am there is no one to call. That is called educating myself. There is nothing wrong with that - and alot right with it. Might even be why I have sold enough books about that team to build my house, Howie.

I was just trying to make the point that basic information which news outlets used to provide now seem to be overlooked, and in an industry that is struggling to keep itself relevant, that might be a significant point. I apologize for being so presumptuous.

So on that note, that's it for me guys. It's been fun, but crap like this is what drives people away, and I'm getting on that highway. Once upon a time people came on this sight to learn and exchange information. Now, not so much. Have fun wowing 'em in Mayberry.

Adios.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, sorry to see anybody leave. Don't know about the others -- I just couldn't figure out why finding a roster was so hard, newspapers or no.

I guess your user name fits now, though.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

When he said "big league".... I think he meant 14-year-olds.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Personally, I never go to a newspaper site looking for a roster. I always go to Yahoo or ESPN.com, because I already know they're there and know where to find them.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The team announced the roster and it wasn't available by release or website?
    If one of the players on one of our teams gives $9 to "Alpacas with Psoriasis" my inbox is flooded with releases proclaiming him the next Mother of Calcutta.

12. Howard Sprague

Howard Sprague New Member

Hey, big-timer. Testy? You're the one who started our day with a rant about the laziness and lack of focus in today's journalism, while basically declaring blogs as the place to turn for news.

"Once upon a time people came on this sight (sic) to learn and exchange information. Now, not so much."

Exactly what kind of "information" were you imparting? The only thing I "learned" is that you were upset that your morning papers didn't deliver a cheat sheet for your radio appearance -- for which you were no doubt paid, being a big-time author and all.

Draft saved Draft deleted