1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"And Tom Mees showed up!"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Sep 3, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Follow me! Follow me to freedom!!!

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Sad memory.
    I met Mees during the Kings-Maple Leafs and Kings-Canadiens playoffs in 1993. We happened to be on the same flight 3 or 4 times that month so we talked quite a bit. He was a regular guy, not an ESPN egomanic. He was sitting in the back of the plane with the regular people. We shared a couple of cabs.
    It was really sad when he passed away.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Lede of the Daily News story:

Sportscaster Tom Mees, one of the original ESPN "SportsCenter" anchors, drowned yesterday after rescuing his 4-year-old daughter, who was going down for the last time in a Connecticut neighbor's pool.

One of the writers must have been a big Head East fan.

Anyhoo, I was sad when he died, and I'm sure Bob Ley's retirement will be sad for me too, as I remember ESPN from the cribbage-board-logo days.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

IJAG: Thanks! I was having (another) brain fart and couldn't remember his line. What a classic.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Best. ESPN. Commercial. Ever.

6. In 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . oops

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

IJAG: Thanks so much for the link... what a classic!

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I wonder what the relationship between Mees and Olbermann was like off the set. When Mees died, the ESPN tributes mentioned how passionate he was about talking politics and what a fervent conservative he was.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Boomer: That's a great question. As Unibomber said earlier, ESPN should do an update.

Draft saved Draft deleted