1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And, to cap it off, you're fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WBarnhouse, Aug 16, 2010.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I haven't heard a single Arkansas fan claim Florida as anything more than a rival in the sense that they are an in-conference foe. A lot of people still have a bitter taste in their mouth from last season's game. I'm sure there are people making the claim in comments sections, but it's often a discussion among fans as to whether Arkansas even has a rival in the SEC.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The whole thing is mass stupidity run amok.

Reporter stupid for wearing the stupid hat.

Coach stupid for making an issue of it.

Station manager stupid for not just dropping it.

Geez, this sounds like crap that would happen in grade school.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Arkansas may have more rivals in C-USA.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"Gosh, coach, I sure do wish you'd not worn that cap, pretty please don't do it again. Now to important things, we gonna beat Alabama this year?" WXYZ's general manager.

The cap was stupid. But not nearly as stupid as the overreaction to it by Arkansas fans, the Razorbacks football program and, more importantly, her boss.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Well said. It's called lack of perspective by the fans, Petrino and the station manager. And it was a really stupid idea to wear that hat. I go to great lengths when covering prep games to make sure I wear some sort of neutral colors.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I learned this at my first full-time gig the hard way. Was covering a HS whose arch-rival's colors were black and orange. I went over to Valley Podunk High one day wearing an orange shirt from my college alma-mater, whose colors were blue and orange.

Valley Podunk's coach told me they don't allow orange to be worn on the field and he'd be happy to talk to me -- once I changed shirts.

Back to the original post, once again, it shows the overall idiocy and get-a-life/clue mentality of many college football fans.

7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

The radio station hired former Arkansas running back Michael Smith to replace this lady.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised. You know - they make hats and shirts that don't have sports team logos on them. And they are usually cheaper.

I realize there are a lot of people in sports media these days that don't have an understanding of professional appearance - but wearing anything that would allow someone to peg you as a hack, a fanboi or someone just trying to get attention - shouldn't be worn.

Draft saved Draft deleted