1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And, to cap it off, you're fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WBarnhouse, Aug 16, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Damn. That'd be an easy $20,000.

Paging Rick Stain....

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is the only safe headgear for sports journalists to wear these days.

3. The minimum Walmart assistant manager salary as of 2006 was about $38,000 plus bonuses, which typically run anywhere from $2,000 - $6,000. I turned down the position upon graduating for a sports writing job. Every once in a while I wonder why. Then I go into a Walmart and remember.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Determining which two of the 38 registers will have cashiers working at any given time is a skill well worth the $38,000 plus.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The quickest way to check out is always at the jewelry counter.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That works for Walgreens. Does it work for Wal Mart, too?

7. Walmart managers have washed their hands of that, actually. A computer makes the schedule, which is then double-checked by an HR person in the store. And the "Customer Service Managers" - the ones in the red vests and a large salary step below assistant managers - are the ones who are in charge of moving cashiers around and sending them off for their breaks. Having gone through the manager training program and after spending about a year a program for college kids that basically makes you an unofficial assistant manager until you graduate, I can say that an assistant manager's job is basically walking circles around a quarter of the store repeatedly asking employees why they have yet to do any of simple tasks you asked them an hour ago when you last went by.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was once friends with the GM of the Wal-Mart in McComb, MS. He was bringing down $160K a year for managing that one store -- and this was 6 years ago.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sigh.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's not that hard to get promoted at Wal-Mart. Anyone who is jealous should go there and start doing it.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, Wal-Mart managers, at well performing stores, make six figures easy with the performance bonus structure they have.
    Target is the same way.
    That's why those guys move around so much. The pot of gold they get, if they hit the right store, is a pretty good deal.
    I know managers in both chains. One Target manager, he's on in 10th store in 12 years. A Wal-Mart guy is about the same.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

On PTI, Bob Ryan said he once wore a Giants hat to a Dodgers game and Lasorda looked at him funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted