1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And, to cap it off, you're fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WBarnhouse, Aug 16, 2010.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

because she's a Florida grad?

She'll be hired somewhere in the Sunshine State within a week. Guaranteed.

2. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

"Gork could not be reached Monday for comment. There was no telephone listing in her name in the Fayetteville area."

Try Mike Capshaw. That's her defensive hubby and he works in the sports "media" in NW Ark too. He'd need a job too if they hightail to Fla. where she belongs.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If I were covering the Giants, I'd probably not buy a Dodgers hat -- not out of any sense of loyalty to my beat, but so I don't make a schmoe move like this.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

Gator Nation will pay her what both of them got in the Natural State.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

She wouldn't have been fired if she were in a union.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You haven't covered a lot of golf, youth baseball, spring high school sports or pretty much anything in the summer lately, have you?
    Here, it's 95 degrees and sunny just about every day between Memorial Day and Labor Day. I'm bald. I wear a hat on outdoor assignments. If my editor wants to tell me I can't, he can either kiss my ass or put his scalp under a heat lamp for eight hours as a sympathy gesture. The choice is his.

7. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Yeah, we balding guys have to wear hats outdoors.
    But I sure as shit wouldn't wear a rival's hat to an event I'm covering.
    Not sure it's fireable or not. But it's certainly idiotic.
    Especially when you work for something called the HogSports Network.

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Wearing rival schools or even competing schools attire is obviously out of line, but I'm on board with the hats being okay boat...in the summer to keep the heat off my bald head and in the winter to keep the rain off my glasses :)

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wow, really? Where she belongs?

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

NFL apparel is not always a safe option. Even for those of us who cover preps in the hinterlands. One showery day, I had to cover the hometown team in a state softball playoff game on the road. It was showering off and on. Not enough to delay a game, but enough to soak your notebook. Somewhere on the way to the game I decide to put on my Carolina Panthers cap -- far enough away to give me a good case of hat-head. No big deal until I get to the school. The school's nickname? You guessed it. The colors? You guessed them. The design of the panther used? Three-for-three.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, because if you ain't wearin' a Hog hat you don't "belong" in Arkansas!

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

And this is why EDSBS proclaimed Arkansas as having, well they said it best...
    Read the whole thing at,
    http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2010/8/16/1626043/we-told-you-arkansasanans-were

But, yeah, she claims she got death threats. Over a Florida hat. Her only real crime was not wearing Razorback gear to practice. As other members of Arkansas's media do.

Draft saved Draft deleted