1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And, to cap it off, you're fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WBarnhouse, Aug 16, 2010.

1. WBarnhouse

WBarnhouse Member

Apparently, you are what you wear, especially in Fayetteville. And if you wear at Florida hat to interview the Arkansas head coach, what you are is gone.

"A radio host with Hog Sports Radio was apparently fired Monday after she donned a Florida Gators hat at an Arkansas press conference over the weekend."

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

This is mentioned on the Tebow autograph thread.

No reporter should ever wear any team gear while on assignment. But it also should not be a fireable offense.

3. WBarnhouse

WBarnhouse Member

Apologies if this is a double post; searched for the name of the person who got canned and came up empty.

4. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

No, she shouldn't be fired.

But wearing team gear to a presser? Just another example of how high the clown factor is in media these days (note that I don't say journalism, because very few people in the media are actually journalists these days). My first years on the Michigan beat, I never saw it more than once or twice a year. My last few years? It was a regular thing every week, usually being worn by openly partisan bloggers who were cultivated by the SID and the staff. Reap what you sow, fellas.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Embarrassing? Sure. Out of line? You bet.

A fireable offense? No.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'm sorry she got fired, but if you're that stupid to wear a conference school cap to an assignment covering another, you pretty much get what's coming to you even if you are a grad from said school.

If it had been a Michigan or USC cap, it would have been in poor judgment. Wearing something from another SEC school is just plain dumb.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Agreed that team gear isn't a great move, but what if I work in Podunk and wear a golf shirt of my favourite NFL team once every couple weeks? I'm not covering the NFL so is it OK? Both people on my sports staff do this and I've never thought it was an issue, so long as it's not to the point of wearing a jersey to work.

8. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I think you're in the clear if you wear a hat with the logo of a professional hockey team on it to a high school baseball game.

I can't think of a situation where a hat would even be appropriate outside of something like that. Maybe a high school football game if you're on the sideline or the press box is in the sun.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Yeah, if you wear an NFL golf shirt/cap/t-shirt to cover the Hometown Heroes, you're good to go. (Wearing a jersey would be overboard for work attire no matter what you were covering.)

But I'm not going to wear an Atlanta Braves cap to cover our local minor league team which is in another National League farm system (and I certainly wouldn't do it if they were a Braves affiliate).

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5469343

She says she grabbed the hat without thinking, which leads me to ask why she had it in her collection in the first place.

11. Wasn't she working for the school's radio team? Definitely fireable, then, for stupidity alone. She's a UF grad, BTW

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Closing quote from the station manager tells you all you need to know.

However, he added, "This radio station is Hog Sports Radio. We are very biased. We support the Razorbacks 100 percent."

I'm surprised the employee in question is a female. I can't of the last time I've seen a female media member wearing team apparel at a game/practice/etc..

It's always a guy and they more often than not are radio guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted