1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And this is why the call them the Minor Leagues...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, May 19, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, am I glad I'm done covering games in the Cal. Absolutely insane.

I had some doozies: an 18-14 game between Bakersfield (with Piazza and Mondesi) and High Desert (with Matt Mieske, Scott Sanders and Tim Worrell and Bruce Bochy in the dugout) in which two bench-clearing brawls broke out and HD nearly blew an 18-3 lead. I got down to the clubhouse before the game ended and talked to the Mavs' CF who broke his hand punching Mike Busch (who would gain later infamy by crossing the picket line and getting called up to the Dodgers).

When Bochy walked in and saw me talking to his player, he threw me out of the clubhouse for 15 minutes, then let me back in to get the sanitized version from everyone. Still one of the craziest baseball games I've ever covered at any level.

That same year (1991), I covered not one but two games in which Mieske drove in eight runs, two games he hit for the cycle and one in which first baseman Jay Gainer went Roy Hobbs with a walk-off grand slam off a light tower. I saw some ridiculous games in the hitting gardens that are High Desert and Lancaster (a stadium I used to live three minutes from).

Had a Modesto-Lancaster game in which Modesto scored in every inning and won 24-11. Because their manager was talking about a recent Vegas trip before the game, my lead was something along the lines of how Modesto violated blackjack protocol by hitting on 17... 18... 19... 20 and 21.

But 30-0... even in the launching pad that is Lancaster Municipal Stadium (nicknamed "The Hangar")? Nothing in my Cal League chops -- which spans four papers, stints covering teams in Riverside, High Desert, Lancaster and Rancho Cucamonga and probably several hundred games over the years from 1987 to 2002 -- compares to that.

MileHigh is right. Wow.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I hate you.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Muahhahahaha!!! Steiner Sports will sell that as part of the "Last Game The Yankees Won In 2004" series.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Over $100, $200 and even $300 for a ticket to a minor league game. That's what people are willing to pay. Then again it is a game where Roger Clemens is pitching in an 8,000+ seat AA park.
    http://tickets.search.ebay.com/Thunder_Tickets_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQsacatZ1305

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I paid $7 to sit behind the dugout to watch Cy Young Award winner Bartolo Colon pitch in a Single-A ballgame earlier this year. Just sayin'.

Could've paid $7 to sit behind the same Single-A dugout a day later to watch Jered Weaver pitch to Rafael Furcal earlier this year, too.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Given my salary and living in the Northeast, I rarely go to Major League games anymore. Plus, the minors stadiums in NJ and PA are pretty good and accessible. The only thing I don't like is the over-abundance of kids. It grates on you, especially when you just want to focus on the damn game.

8. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

30-0???!!!

I just happen to look in a certain place and found this minor league baseball gem. ... Apparently, Lake Elsinore beat Lancaster 30-0 in California League action on Friday
    The score was 21-0 after four innings ... Here's a link to the box score.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&gid=2007_05_18_lesafa_lncafa_1&cid=491&t=g_box

And the game log

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&gid=2007_05_18_lesafa_lncafa_1&cid=491&t=g_log

Seemed like a pretty wild series .. Lancaster came back the next day for a 14-12 win and then lost the finale 21-6. I could understand if this were college baseball or high school baseball with the aluminum bats. But high Class A minor league?

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Re: 30-0???!!!

Possibly the most improbable d_b in the history of the board, right here. What are the odds?

10. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Hey I did a search for "30-0" and came up with nothing. I usually search to avoid D_B's

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Then how do I delete this thread?

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Yeah, probably should have tried Elsinore, but I certainly don't believe in searching every time I start a thread. That's what I'm saying, what are the odds that this would end up being a d_b? And yet, one of our esteemed effin' studs was AT the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted