1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And this is why the call them the Minor Leagues...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, May 19, 2007.

1. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

I wanted to kill myself covering a 16-8 softball game where 21 girls from one team walked. I can't imagine the hell that is a 30-0 minor league baseball game. Hopefully this summer, the team I cover won't make me find out.

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

A little update for all of you: Lake Elsinore, the team that scored 30 last night, started today's game off by scoring nine in the first two innings. Kyle Blanks, who went 6-for-7 yesterday, has five RBIs through the fourth inning.

[​IMG]

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

This just keeps getting better. The other team in this game has a guy that's 3-for-3 with three home runs. 10-8, Lake Elsinore in the fifth.

[​IMG]

4. tardreedo

tardreedo Member

Somebody needs to send any of those dudes from Lake Elsinore up to the Padres YESTERDAY. Besides last night, San Diego seems scared of scoring any runs this year.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Except, of course, the California League is an extreme hitter's league. Those guys are probably going to hit .240 in a real league.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Just checked out the Storm's website. Those hats they wear are ri-goddamn-riculous.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

From a writing standpoint, the guy who went hitless could be a fun angle to take on the lede for this type of game. Blowouts like that are fun to write about, because even the team that's getting waxed can't do anything but throw their hands up and have fun with it after it's over. Just one of those nights that happens sometimes.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Coulda been worse:

http://www.bridgew.edu/athletics/direct/Stats/baseball2007_stats/bscbb14.htm

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Sweet baby Jeebus!

Oh, Lancaster won today, 14-12, and their cleanup guy set the CAL League record with four homers in one game. I'm stunned that not only hasn't that happened already, but that someone hasn't hit five in that league!

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

PY36, do you write for the Riverside paper? I've heard that the Temecula/Murrieta area has a paper now, it that the one you write for?

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I covered some bad games in the Cal League back in the day and made some dreadful drives through the Central Valley, but never saw a game like 30-0. 14-12, sure. Wow.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

They're baaaaack! Lake Elsinore just beat Lancaster, 21-6. Some outfielder, Yordany Ramirez hit for the cycle (4-for-6) with eight RBIs. The Storm combined for six home runs for the second time in the last three games. Holy fucking shit. Between these games and tonight's episode of the Sopranos, I'm ice my jaw for a little bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted