1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And this is why the call them the Minor Leagues...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, May 19, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

At the risk of outing myself, it's games like these that make my nights miserable: Lake Elsinore blew up Lancaster, 30-0, on Lancaster's Military Appreciation Night. One guy had seven RBIs, two had six hits each, two had two home runs, another guy went 5-for-5, the pitchers combined on a four-hitter...

and one poor sap went the entire game without getting a hit OR an RBI. But don't worry, he walked three times and scored twice.

And yet, Lake Elsinore's 30 runs and 28 hits did not set or even tie any California League records. Gotta love this crap. :mad:

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

"You only come to our games when we lose by 30!!!"

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Holy, holy shit. That's awesome. :D

Just looked up the box:

One dude went 6-for-8 with 5 runs, 2 doubles and 3 RBI.
    Another went 6-for-7 with 6 runs, 2 doubles, a homer and 4 RBI.
    Another went 5-for-5 with 5 runs, 1 doubles, 2 HRs and 5 RBI.

And hell, they left 8 men on base. ... Most amazing stat of all is the catcher: 0-for-3, 3 BB, 2 R. Ahh, baseball's a funny game!

And yeah, you're going to have go batshit crazy to set any hitting records in the Cal League. They got some launching pads out here for some reason. Florida's the pitchers' league and California's the hitters' league.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

You mean you're the Lake Elsinore beat writer? THE Lake Elsinore beat writer?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

"So skip...they left eight guys on. So I guess you guys did an ok job of minimizing the damage, huh?"

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Thank heaven, no. Another amazing stat: the 30 runs isn't even a record! The record is held by Fresno, now of the Pacific Coast League, who scored 34 against Ventura back on May 23...1947. At the same time, the pitching staff throws a four-hitter and gives up just one extra-base hit.

I've never, EVER seen a team on any level, whether is be at the pros, college, HS or Little League, get their asses reamed this badly. Damn, this kind of beat-down is awful!

7. You didn't have to file HOW THE RUNS WERE SCORED, did you?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Outstanding

9. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Love Mario Pena's line: 1.2 IP, 8 H, 11 ER, 3 BB, 0 K. His ERA leaped from 5.84 to 12.21.

That had to be a morbidly fun game to watch.

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I don't know what's worse: that or Jose Lobaton going 0-fer-3 and no RBIs. The poor guy must be getting ragged on something vicious for being the only guy without a hit and RBI.

11. I've covered and watched many a blowout where one guy goes hitless... not when it was 30-0, though.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's the way I've always looked at games like this. I have a strange attraction to them.

And if a 30-run blowout is the worst you've ever seen, you probably haven't seen your worst yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted