1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And they're shutting all the typewriter factories down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Typing was an elective for you guys?

It was a requirement (I believe in sophomore year) at my school.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

It was an elective, but if you wanted any kind of future, you took it.

We were transitioning from typing to keyboarding. I took both, taking the keyboarding class after taking typing. I literally was done with all of the semester's material six weeks in.

3. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Typing was an elective for us. The one computer at our high school used those stacks of punch cards (yeah, I'm old) and looked like it was boosted from the Batcave set of the TV series. I still didn't know how to type, technically, when I got my first job, but I was able to fake it pretty well. I have no idea what my wpm is and have never tested it.

I'm all for kids taking foreign languages. Even if I can't speak French fluently, I believe that my five years of elective French in middle school and high school helps in untold ways now, as far as vocabulary.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Wow. Your post in living proof of magic then. ;D

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Ha. I'm hell on wheels in the Quidditch arena, too.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Typing in HS. Timed writings.

F

My grade in typing.

12 WPM

My speed.

Today, I type 120 WPM.

That means my teacher sucked.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Elective here. Seventh and eighth grade. Most useful classes I ever took.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

My folks gave me a manual one for my HS graduation.

When it came time to pack my car for the impending arrival of Katrina, it was one of the last things I threw in there.

Glad I did.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I took typing in eighth grade because my handwriting was so poor. The class was meant for juniors and seniors, meaning that I was in way over my head, both typing-wise and socially.

Thing is, I really didn't want to take the class. I had a final-period study hall instead. But my mom called the school to get them to enroll me. The guidance counselor asked me, "Do you want to take the class?" I wanted to tell him no, but I knew my mom would kill me, so I took it. I ended up typing something like 15 words per minute.

Now, I can type in the 60s range. And strangely enough, I think posting on here has improved my typing speed.

10. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Damn. Now I'm starting to question and trying to remember if I even got my money's worth out of that extra study hall. Those naps have to be paying some form of dividend now, right? Anyone? Back me up on this?

Draft saved Draft deleted