1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And they're shutting all the typewriter factories down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

No brainer, really. All the good looking girls took typing....

When I saw the thread, my first thought was they still made them?

Reminds me of the story about the shuttering of the last victrola factory...

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think learning keyboarding on a typewriter, with more key resistance even on the latest models, makes a person a better keyboardist on a computer.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Learned to hunt and peck on Mom's Royal manual. Broke two electric typewriters writing papers last weekend of college, and have since broken uncountable computer keyboards. Believe me when I tell you, the entire desk shakes when I write, and not from the weight of my ponderous thoughts.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

False alarm?

http://gawker.com/#!5795649/relax-theyre-still-making-typewriters

If you can't trust India's Business Standard magazine......

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I feel so much better now

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is that the same rag that quoted Obama's trip there as costing a billion a day? I sure hope their quality of work in other industries is up to the same standards as the journalism there. There might be hope for US workers yet.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

All I can think of is learning to type in seventh-grade typing class with a Ben Stein-like teacher. Fff, ggg. Then we switch to something with dot-matrix printers with 10 kids to a row, and someone would always screw something up.

I never got the hang of numbers, which is kind of important in sports. It probably would've come in handy at my full time job too. Everytime I have to send an email with our sales analysis, it takes a good 30 minutes with 30 departments and all their percentages.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If my house ever burns down, I'm grabbing my dad's manual Smith Corona from the early 50s. Every keystroke requires a two inch vertical jab, and unless you have really muscular fingers, only the index fingers can make a decent impact on the ribbon. That's how I learned to type, which is why I am terrible typist to this day.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

My family had an Amiga through a school program from the time I was born so I didn't grow up on typewriters. That said we didn't always have a working printer. My mother was a librarian at a Purdue library and I would go in there and mess around on the typewriters so I have used them.

As I said above, I'm a computer kid, however, I am mostly a hunt-and-pecker. I'm sort of a hybrid. I had typing classes in junior high and high school but never liked the setup of the normal way. I already typed faster than most using my way. I don't use my index finger much. I use my middle fingers mostly with the index and ring finger hitting probably 1/3 of the keys. I keep my thumps on the space bar and from there have muscle memory to be able to hit all the keys without looking. I get about 60 words per minute so I see no need to change.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Great point. I took one semester of typing, probably in eight grade, and now it's one of my oft-used skills. And I took six years of French, between middle school and HS, and, well, you can imagine how useful that is.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Replace French with Spanish, and I lived that.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Ahhh ... memories. Typing class in high school, which I only took because at the time, Indiana's J-school had a 35wpm typing requirement for admission, and I was afraid of not making it.

They got rid of the typing test requirement right before I enrolled. After learning how to type on those old electric typewriters, a computer was cake, and I've been a 70-75wpm typer ever since.

Draft saved Draft deleted