1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And there goes OU's football season

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Starting QB has reportedly been kicked off team...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2537332

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Haha. Boomer Sooner won't be riding this year.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Before clicking on the thread, I assumed Peterson tore up a knee.

4. KP

KP Active Member

I thought this was going to be about Frank Solich's team.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, damn it! How we supposed to win a national title if we play by everybody else's rules? We're Oklahoma! [/stupidOkievoice]

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Does anyone know if they're going start Paul Thompson now at qb?

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm assuming their backup is plenty capable of handing the ball to Peterson, which means they'll be OK.

8. Bomar had a job at a Norman, Okla., car dealer at which he'd work about five hours a week, but claimed, for tax purposes, that he earned $18,000 a year

If you work 52 weeks at that rate, you're pocketing a cool $69.23 per hour. If you work 12 weeks? $300 per. On that note:

Dear Sirs,

Please accept this sentence as my application for employment at Big Red Sports/Imports.

Cordially yours,

C. Mustard
    Somewhere other than Norman, Okla.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I bet the JUCO kid the mentioned in the story is the starter before they get to the first Big 12 game.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This is monstrous news here in Big 12 country ... but as a Sooner fanboy, I'm not worried.

Peterson drove a Lexus for five months and Stoops let  him skate. Bomar has a similar issue, and buh-bye. That tells me Bomar was expendable.

Halzle will be the man at QB, at least for now. I think Stoops brought the Admiral in because he didn't have confidence in Bomar. It's possible Stoops will move Thompson back to QB as a backup but my sources in Norman tell me the job is Halzle's. Personally I hope the job gets opened for competition.

The Sooners will need more than just handing the ball to A.D. this fall to win the Big 12. Fortunately, they've got an early schedule conducive to breaking in another new QB (UAB, Washington, at Oregon, Middle Tennessee, open date, Texas).

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As fishy as the Peterson thing sounds what he did is actually not all that uncommon in the car dealership world. A friend of mine did the exact same thing and wound up not buying the car. Granted, it wasn't a Lexus but that kind of thing does happen.

Making $18,000 on a five-hour-a-week job? Not so typical.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Jamelle Holieway, and his purse and fur coat, won a national title after Troy Aikman went down with a broken leg. So I'm not that concerned about the QB situation.

What I am concerned about is the O-line. A lot of young guys will be starting there. A couple of big tackles, but not much experience.

Maybe the perfect storm for OU would be for A.D. to break a collarbone in Week 2, sit out the year, come back in 2007, and it all comes together in '07 for another national title.

Nah.

Draft saved Draft deleted