1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And then there was One: Week 13 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gosh, he was Paul Warfield against the Pats last year. Perhaps a fluke.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I understand that, and it's a good starting point.

How far does it extend, however? By that I mean, can the 2007 Patriots not be considered better than ANY Super Bowl champion of any year? They aren't even better than the 9-7 (regular season) Giants of 2011? That at best they can only be considered the 50th best team of the Super Bowl era? That seems a little nuts. And if we concede that they may be better than SOME SB champions, why --- theoretically --- can't they be better than ALL of them?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Well, they got beat. They might be the best Super Bowl loser of all time, although even then I'm not sure they might rate ahead of the two '70s Cowboys teams that lost to the Steelers.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ranking every team in league history from top to bottom is a distinctly separate task than deciding which one is the best. So, yes, there are Super Bowl winners that are not better than the 2007 Patriots. However, actually winning the game does count for something.

Best team I ever saw was the 1989 49ers, and they wouldn't have lost on a helmet catch primarily because the game wouldn't have been within three touchdowns at that point.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Unless, of course, they were playing the Rams or Packers.
    (And I know they beat the Rams big once, but also lost to them and only beat them by 3 in another game that year, when clearly one play could have made the difference)

6. LongTimeListener

Ugh. OK '72 Dolphins automatically best, then all the one-loss teams that won the Super Bowl, etc. etc.

7. amraeder

Which is basically the point I was trying to argue against. Even all-time great teams lose. I think you picked a great contender for all-time best team. I don't think one loss (or two) disqualifies them from being that. And I don't think one loss disqualifies the Patriots from being that.

8. LongTimeListener

Sure I guess if you're of the belief that the postseason is not any gauge, which I know a lot of people do believe.

9. amraeder

I wouldn't argue that it's not any gauge. It's more data, which is good! And it's important. I just don't think it's an end-all, be-all, and that one loss is an automatic disqualifier just because of when it occurred.

10. LongTimeListener

On to more pertinent matters: What the fuck is wrong with the Packers?

11. amraeder

OL is beat the hell up. Really miss Nelson. Davante Adams isn't good at football.

12. amraeder

Well, this turned a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted