1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And then there was One: Week 13 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 2, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No they're not.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Not just 1st overall, 1st round pick. Also out of the league in 5 years.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I hate the Pats, your premise is ridiculous. One game and a million in one catch changes things?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yes, it changes things. This is so obvious I can't believe it's an argument. You didn't win the championship. You are runners-up. You weren't the best team of the year, let alone all time. The Patriots eventually took down the banner at Gillette they had for the 16-0 regular season because it made the fans feel sad and embarrassed and they were right to do that.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'd like to play poker with you, .easy money. I Went all in with 2-7 and won, that makes it a smart move

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's always a dicey argument.

I have little trouble saying Georgetown was the best college basketball team in 1985.

Even though they lost the title game to a 10-loss team that had to shoot about 80 percent to win that one game by two points.

7. Michael_ Gee

Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned, but it's my belief that the scoreboard's there for a reason. If they don't call you champion, they can't call you the best, because when it counted most, you weren't.
    To use JC's analogy, if both players go all-in with equal sums and the 2-7 hand wins, he's the winner.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

All that may be true.

But if Patriots and Giants meet one week later, and only an even money line is offered for wagering, you're taking the Patriots. You're not taking the champions. You just . . . aren't.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is just so ridiculous and simplistic.

Winners win, you are what your record says you are. Puke.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It seems like in a discussion of "best ever" -- which is where this whole tangent started, I think -- winning the championship is a reasonable prerequisite.

poindexter likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Thanks, LTL. That's my point more succinctly made.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Going to just get this out of the way early: Davante Adams isn't good.

Draft saved Draft deleted