1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

...and then David Caruso took off his sunglasses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

2. Maybe it was Caruso's movie career that washed ashore?

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Caruso takes off sunglasses, pauses and says, 'Weeeeee now have life, or should I say death, imitating art.'

Cue theme music:WAhhhhhhhhhh---We won't get fooled again

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I consider CSI Miami a guilty pleasure... Emily Procter is what keeps me tuning in, not Caruso's overacting...

I just wish he would watch himself in the first season of NYPD Blue so he could remember how good he can be when he's not trying too hard...

I know his movie career is often made fun of, but Kiss of Death, with Sam Jackson and Nic Cage pre-superstardom, was outstanding...

5. NDub

NDub Guest

I've always wondered if David Caruso does a spectacular job of playing a detective character with an oddball badass personality or if he just sucks so bad that he can't play the badass.

The way he leans his head to the side, removes/puts on his sunglasses and stares blankly at walls as he speaks in a low volume to other characters is either great acting because that's who Horatio Caine is or horrible acting because Caruso, well.....sucks.

The acting, as a whole, in CSI: Miami isn't the best. But hot chicks, Miami, sweet storylines, more hot chicks and killer graphics all in HD get my rating on Monday nights.

New season starts tonight, too.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At least CSI Miami is watchable... I think Gary Sinise is a great actor, but CSI:NY just didn't do it for me...

The original is one of my favorite shows on TV...

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

This isn't often pointed out, but the writing on the show is really bad. Not only is it formulaic, it doesn't pull off the formula correctly.

For instance, there was one ep where they clearly were 'ripping from the headlines' the Natalee Holloway case. High school seniors [who, of course, looked as if they had graduated college two or three years ago] took a trip to Miami. [I think from there they were going to the Bahamas or somewhere.]

So a pretty young blonde turns up missing, and even though H vowed that 'weeeeeeeeee will find her alive,' they found her dead instead. It comes out that her stepfather, who didn't trust her, had a camera in her rental car [how he had the $$$ to hook that up wasn't explained] which fed video to a web site so he could monitor her. So they think he's got an incestual relationship with her [red herring #45] and Eric the CSI basically accuses him of being an incestuous murderer.

Of course, when he's exonerated, and another man eventually is charged, there's no apology to him or his grieving wife, the girl's natural mother, and there's no scene at the end with them getting some closure. No, all that matters is that Horatio Caine got closure. WTF???

8. bd11

bd11 Member

There is unintentional comedy, then there is Caruso putting on his sunglasses when he goes INSIDE and then taking them off when he goes OUTSIDE. The guy is a genuis.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Blecch ... gotta disagree, Mizzou. Caruso was terrible and proved he couldn't carry a movie. The basic plot was tired (ex-con trying to go straight needs to do one last job, mayhem ensues). I've seen that plot done so many times and much better, too ("Heat" jumps to mind). It was trash, as is Caruso's "acting" career (though I couldn't agree more with whomever said he should go back and look at Season 1 of NYPD Blue).

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Isn't Kiss of Death the one where Samuel Jackson's eyes won't stop tearing because he got shot in the eye or something? Strangest tic I've ever seen given to a character. It's a tad more sterile than a hit man with a really runny nose. Strange movie, but I do remember the scene where Cage is bench-pressing a stripper. No, that's not a metaphor.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Didn't they also find a dead body on location when CSI: Vegas was filming a few days ago?

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Big NYPD Blue fan. And sorry but I liked it better when Caruso left. It was always Sipowicz's show anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted