1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

...and the show must go on?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DocTalk, Feb 27, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I can't begin to fathom why they kept playing the game. I know the team's PR guy, but I haven't spoken with him in a few months. It just baffles me. What did they stand to gain? It's not like it was the Super Bowl. Hell, it wasn't even Arena ball. This was a team in a very small indoor league. I can almost guarantee that there will be more coming on this in the morning. Check the Daytona Beach News-Journal and the Orlando Sentinel when you wake.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was wondering the same thing...particularly about these sixth-tier AFL knockoffs that are springing up like weeds. (is there really that much of a demand for crappy indoor football? I digress)

I can't imagine the fields are as advanced in these minor leagues as they are in the AFL.

I also wonder if players in the style of play in these leagues is more reckless and desperate.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

See, I'm thinking it's more the impact with the concrete floor than the actual hit itself, but that's conjecture on my part.

If that's not the cause, then what is? Is it inferior or ill-fitting equipment? Is it players who, in terms of strength and quickness, have no business competing against one another? Or is it just a tragic, tragic fluke?

And, yes, I realize there have been deaths in college and the NFL in recent years, but those have been in ungodly hot preseason camps and the victims have either not been in shape or have had some sort of undiagnosed malady. Korey Stringer didn't die of a broken neck and neither did Rashidi Wheeler. And, colleges and the NFL have taken steps to make sure deaths like that are things of the past. What will these bush league arena-ball wannabes do to protect their players?

4. HeinekenMan

The lede in the top story in today's Orlando Sentinel answers the question. The players apparently took a vote on whether to continue the game.

According to the Sentinel, the players get $250 per game and an extra $50 if they win.

5. Freelance Hack

So the league wouldn't have paid the players if they chose not to play?

Page Keith Olbermann, somewhere in here we have a Worst Person in the World candidate.

Stay classy, minor league indoor football!

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'd like to think they'd pay unless they had to give refunds. So I prefer to read it as "players elect to keep going despite on-field death of teammate to get the $50 bonus for winning". Which they DIDN'T.

7. Freelance Hack

Which would make the players the worst people in the world. I wasn't just taking a swipe at the league.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

No, I agree. The players made the decision, they can eat the consequences and wash it down with a stien of STFU.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

Because in a world where athletes make multi-millions of dollars and doctors must check with an HMO before putting on a band-aid, our priorities are mightily fucked up.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

"(Fill in dead person's name) would have wanted us to continue."

11. HeinekenMan

That was actually a quote high in the story, or something quite similar. The quote came from one of a few players who might quit playing.

Heck, go to orlandosentinel.com and read it for yourself. It was the top story at the start of the day.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. I was a kid, but I was there and I remember it well...
    My dad took me to an awesome doubleheader that day -- Lions in the afternoon at Tiger Stadium, Wings at home at the Olympia at night.

The moment of silence at the Wings game was eerie...

Draft saved Draft deleted