1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

...and the show must go on?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DocTalk, Feb 27, 2007.

1. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2781193

A player falls over dead while making a tackle, CPR is done on the field for 10 minutes and after a 25 minute delay, the game continues?

People in the ER have difficulty moving on to care for the next patient after somebody dies in the department. I guess our work isn't as important as football...sigh.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Did the Lions-Bears game stop when Chuck Hughes died on the field? Can't remember.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It did not.

There's a lot of debate about how this should be handled. The West Coast Conference game where Hank Gathers died was stopped and LMU declared the winner. They cancelled the Reds game where John McSherry died. But the Lions game went on, and didn't they also keep playing the arena football game where that one guy from the Los Angeles team died?

Probably the best case for stopping an event in case of fatality is that Vince McMahon didn't when Owen Hart plunged to his death at a pay-per-view in 1999.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Man, that's sad.

And it's a tough call, too. I'm on the fence. Call it, don't call it. I personally wouldn't have wanted to keep watching.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

A lot of it depends on how it looked. Auto races have gone on after the fatal crash of a driver, because usually you don't see a horribly mangled body. Hank Gathers was desperately gasping for air at the end, so when they took him off the court NOBODY wanted to stick around. Tough call either way, though I'd err towards calling it and handing out refunds if needed.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

How about when Paul Dana died last year during practice for an Indy race. That race went on. I think if it was Danica Patrick the race would have been run. If you're important they don't play; if you're just another pawn let's play two!

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was in the cheap seats at Riverfront when John McSherry died, I know I didn't want to see a ballgame after that.

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I was at Dodger Stadium the day that evil forces hypnotized Reggie Jackson and had him try to assassinate the Queen of England, and they didn't stop that game. I'll always recall the ebullient umpiring in that one.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Actually, they did stop the game. It was the seventh inning stretch and after Priscilla Presley was disarmed and they made up, all the fans left the stadium.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hey, it's Enrico Pallozzo!

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

After 5 complete, that baby's official.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Fight cards continue even after a guy has been critically injured in the undercard. Again, fighters, like race car drivers, know the risks.

Draft saved Draft deleted