1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the paper is finally done ... oh wait ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Our bi-weekly paper goes to press tomorrow morning and we had nothing to cover tonight - and I thought with all our other paper's deadlines being pushed back, this one would as well - so I finished my pages earlier this afternoon.
    Then we find out local coach has been fired. Now I have to do everything again. Fuck.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Kind of makes being ahead of the game seem pretty pointless, huh?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hate to tell you this Rhody, but most of us go through something similar every night of the week.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

You have seven local coaches fired every week?

D. Amn.

5. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I'm guessing that's not what he meant.

I'm not saying this to lift my leg on one form over the other, but when you're putting out a product seven days a week, plenty of things go bump in the proverbial night.

During this time of year, things rarely go according to plan. It's part of why I believe it takes a certain personality type to plan and lay out a section, and why I believe I'm not that type.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Exactly, Kaylee

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to sound like a whiny bitch. I've been doing layout for about four months now and I'm slowly but steadily getting it. I was pumped because I thought I'd be ahead of the game, I could relax a little tomorrow knowing I only had to do one paper instead of two (I am not thankful for Thanksgiving deadlines), but now I have to rework stuff.
    First thing that's getting cut - women's basketball story.

This is the first time this has happened to me, so I'm a little annoyed - do you ever get used to the feeling?

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

nope. pisses me off almost every damn time

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You don't get used to it, but it becomes less and less familiar to you each time; you almost start to expect it. But I think that's good, to an extent, because you begin to think on your feet -- or ass -- much more quickly about a second plan of attack. Pretty soon, you'll know exactly what to do the next time someone gets fired.

Draft saved Draft deleted