1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the Oscar goes to ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Or it could suck. Given the recent history of the franchise that's a good possibility.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Academy is very aware that the Oscars have a worse ratings problem than post-season baseball. So I expect the Star Wars film to get many nominations, if not wins. The first one had a bunch of nominations, but didn't win. There were two science fiction films that year, the other being Close Encounters. Some comedy called Annie Hall took home the trophies.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Much like George and the jerk store comeback, I realize Mr. Sunshine was right. What I should have said was you meant to say you can never remember Mr. Sunshine being enthusiastic about something.

I'll think of something even better tomorrow.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I doubt it.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not surprising, you being a negative person and all.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You suck at this.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The jerk store called. They're having a 2-for-1 sale.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Spotlight was written (and directed) by Thomas McCarthy, the same guy who wrote Up, Win Win, the Visitors and The Station Agent, and also played the reporter in the last season the wire. Given his track record and the subject matter, I'd be surprised if Spotlight wasn't great.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Loooove brokers!"

I loved Social Network. So I may go see Jobs.

10. KVV33

KVV33 Member

It's interesting what we demand be true and what we don't really give a shit about.

Steve Jobs might get dinged because Sorkin invented a shouting match between him and Wozniak, but Braveheart won best picture even though:

1. William Wallace was not born in poverty, he was part of the Scottish aristocracy
    2. Primae Noctis is probably a totally made up thing
    3. Scots did not paint their faces blue for battle
    4. The queen of France was nine years old when Wallace died. He did not bone her, she did not bear his child. She also didn't give him troop movements.
    5. Braveheart was actually Robert the Bruce's name, not Wallace. He also never betrayed Wallace.

We should just wait like 400 years to make the Steve Jobs movie, and we can say whatever we like about the dude.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always love the BS about movies based on true stories "playing" with the facts. It's typical studio Oscar campaign crud. It's not in the documentary category, have talking chipmunks, I don't care. Best film is best film.

Draft saved Draft deleted