1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the Oscar goes to...(nominations released)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Feb 2, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Sandra Bullock graduated from an Arlington, VA high school, just outside of DC, so not really The South. She's had a house in Austin and owns a restaurant there, but I think living in Austin is relatively recent (as in the last 10 years).

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The accent was so far from true Memphis as to be pathetic.
    Anyone who has spent any time in the city knows it was a complete swing and miss.
    No way she deserves it. If you can't get the details right, you can't win the Oscar. Has Meryl Streep ever missed on the details?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Washington-Lee High School. Her dad is from Alabama. So says the Wiki.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I actually still haven't seen Avatar. Just no desire. I'll see it eventually.

The Hurt Locker should win, but I'm guessing Avatar will win.

Renner should win Best Actor, Bridges will win.

Bullock will be the biggest lock since Witherspoon won for Walk the Line.

6. Mizzougrad96

Waltz or Harrelson should win supporting actor. That one should be pretty close.

I'd love to see Kendrick win supporting actress, but I'm guessing Mo'Nique is a lock.

7. Mizzougrad96

“Avatar” - No interest. Not really sure why.
    “The Blind Side” - Surprisingly good.
    “District 9” - Overrated, but still decent.
    “An Education” - I have not seen it.
    “The Hurt Locker” - Best film of the year.
    “Inglourious Basterds” - Very good, nowhere close to Tarantino's best work.
    “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” - Very good movie. Tough to watch. Great performances.
    “A Serious Man” - Have not seen it, probably the nominated film I have the least interest in.
    “Up” - Other than the opening montage, which was a masterpiece, a very overrated film.
    “Up in the Air” - Very good film. Shouldn't win.

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

In my opinion, this is a pretty slam-dunk year in relation to winners.

Picture: Avatar
    Director: Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
    Adapted Screenplay: Up In the Air
    Original Screenplay: Inglorious Basterds
    Best Actress: Sandra Bullock
    Best Actor: Jeff Bridges
    Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique
    Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz

The best category with a shot at an "upset" is director with Cameron.

9. Mizzougrad96

Agree on every pick.

10. Mizzougrad96

Bullock will win for the same reason Julia Roberts did. She was very, very good and everybody wants to see her win.

It's interesting that if you look at the A-list of actors, very few have Oscars.

If you look at actresses, almost all of the A-listers (Streep, Witherspoon, Berry, Zelwegger, Kidman, Zeta-Jones, Mirren, Winslet) have an Oscar and Bullock winning will only add to that.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

didn't she actually grow up overseas?

12. I'd be stunned if the winner for Best Director's movie also didn't claim Best Picture though I suppose the Academy could use that as a consolation prize. I have yet to see Hurt Locker but from what I have heard, it should probably win. If that's the case (and I hope to see it soon), I'd be cool with Cameron getting director because of what he accomplished on that film and Hurt Locker taking best picture. It just seems those awards would more closely jibe with the spirit of what they are supposed to be.

Like I posted earlier in the thread, I think the actor/actresses are slam dunks. And they are the same as what you've posted here.

Draft saved Draft deleted