1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the Oscar goes to...(nominations released)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/82/nominees.html

Here are your nominees for Best Picture

Here are your nominations for Actor in a Leading Role
    And Actress in a Leading Role

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Either Avatar or Hurt Locker will clean up. Probably Avatar. Ugh.

No love for The Hangover? Boooooo!

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

There were some heavyweight performances in the supporting roles category: Anna Kendrick in Up in the Air, Mo'Nique in Precious, and Waltz in Basterds were all top-notch. I haven't seen Crazy Heart yet but Bridges reviews are through the roof. Also, Streep and first-time nominee Bullock against first-time nominee/first-time-onscreen Gabourey Sidibe will be interesting.

4. Curious to see who comes out on top in best picture and best director. Not going out on a limb to say it but I'd imagine the winner of best director will be one of the former couple Cameron (Avatar) or Bigelow (Hurt Locker) and then go on to win Best Picture. I have yet to see Hurt Locker but hoping to remedy that sooner than later. I think most of the drama of the show will fall in those two categories.

Bridges for best actor, Bullock for best actress, Mo'Nique for supporting actress and Waltz for best supporting actor seem like slam dunks to me.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Jeff Bridges was terrific. I'm not sure Maggie Gyllenhaal, who was good, but not great, deserved that nomination. I'm also not sure that Julianne Moore, who was a likely nominee in that category, deserved the nomination either.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've only seen two of the Best Pic nominees. Huh.

7. JackReacher

Only one I've seen is Hurt Locker. Only other ones I'd consider watching is Basterds and Up in the Air. The others? Meh. No thanks.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What's wrong with Up or District 9?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. The Blind Side was well done also.

I've seen Avatar, Up in the Air, Up, Basterds, District 9. Only other one I want to see is Hurt Locker.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've seen Hurt Locker and Up.

11. JackReacher

They just don't interest me. At all.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

District 9 is overrated, but Up is pretty damned awesome.

The Fabulous Mr. Fox could have stood to get a best picture nomination, as well

Draft saved Draft deleted