1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the Oscar for Best Actor goes to ... Mickey Rourke?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Apparently, he was not nominated for Pope of Greenwich Village, which stuns me.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The buzz at TIFF is that Anne Hathaway may be the front runner for best actress in Rachel Getting Married.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080908.wtiffceleb08/BNStory/tiff2008/

Nobody doesn't like it, and everybody is floored by her flinty, f'ed-up performance as Kym, a pill-popper fresh from rehab who doesn't want to mess up her sister's multiculti Connecticut wedding - but just can't help herself. Oscar talk abounds. Mention this to Hathaway, 25, during breakfast at Toronto's Empire restaurant, and she lays her head on the table in embarrassment and pleasure.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

He would have been perfect for that, too.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing he kicks himself daily for that decision.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fortunately, his ass is botoxed too. So he doesn't feel it. :D

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

When I read the the thread title, all I could picture was a dazed Rodney Dangerfield in 'Back to School' saying, "Four?"

And, yes, Mizzou, Rourke was awesome in 'Sin City.' He can definitely act. This sounds like a pretty good one, though the timing is suspect (what great movies have come out in September in recent years?). Anyone else think he looks like The Ultimate Warrior in that screenshot?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can't say I've always been a fan of his, but I was impressed with just how good he was in Sin City.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

THAT'S IT!!!!

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

BTW, "The Wrestler" is a terrible name for the film.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Clarification, film will get an initial Oscar-qualifying release right at the end of the year.

By ANNE THOMPSON
    Posted: Mon., Sep. 8, 2008, 9:11am PT

In the first major buy of the Toronto International Film Festival, Fox Searchlight won an intense all-night bidding war for Darren Aronofsky’s “The Wrestler,” which days before had won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Fest. Searchlight acquired U.S. rights for about $4 million.
    After the packed screening of “The Wrestler” at Toronto's Elgin last night, buyers huddled on the street and made their way to the Four Seasons Hotel to offer bids and pitch release plans. An Oscar-campaign for Mickey Rourke's rough-and-tumble, vulnerable performance as a wrestler on the ropes was an essential component of the deal. Most distribs were offering a “Monster”-style Oscar-qualifying late-year platform with a wider release in January.

Wild Bunch's Agnes Mentre and Vincent Maraval, who financed the film, ran the meetings with CAA's Micah Green and director Darren Aronofsky. There were multiple bids: besides Searchlight, Lionsgate, Overture, Weinstein Co. and Sony were in the running, while other buyers who didn't call fast enough were told they were too late to enter the fray.

"Wild Bunch believed in Mickey Rourke," Aronofsky said in his opening remarks onstage. "I've been a fan for so long. I heard stuff about him that turned out to be a lot of baloney. The man I met was an eggshell-fragile human being; the more I knew about him and the more colors I the more excited I was about the possibility of being able to photograph him and share him with the public, which for a long time has seen him as a tough guy. He's a sweetheart."

Pamela McClintock and Sharon Swart contributed to this report.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I can't even look at Mickey Rourke's face. I had a ginormous crush in him back in the "Diner" and "Pope of Greenwich Village" days and to see what he's done to himself...makes me think of Jacko. Ugh.

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

What was the new Springsteen song in the movie like? I guess Bruce volunteered to write it for the film because he and Rourke are old friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted