1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the Oscar for Best Actor goes to ... Adam Sandler

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Dec 10, 2019.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Saw it on 31st. Very intense with hardly any let up.

On the Oscar, I realize there’s this inherent bias towards angry, intense roles. Do that and you’re a contender. I think of this contrasting Sandler’s job with Chalamet’s in Little Women. Chalamet’s range of emotions was more wide ranging but will be given less weight because he’s not this intense angry heavy, but a subtle man who’s not afraid to show his emotions.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He plays the role that Bale played in the last rendition, right? I thought Bale was good in that role. I watched the film with my daughter in early December. Not sure it needed to be revised again so soon, but I'll reserve further comment till seeing it. Has a great cast, as did the last one.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I did not see the last rendition.

4. CD Boogie

It was pretty good. Bale played the next-door neighbor who was in love with Jo (Winona Ryder), Eric Stoltz played his tutor (who ended up marrying one of the other March girls). Also had Claire Danes as the doomed one, Kirsten Dunst as the youngest one, and Susan Sarandon as the mother.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think it was definitely the latter. I've seen it twice and both times lots of people laughed and both times many of those same people broke out into applause at the end of the movie. There is something hilarious about the scene especially the tattoo line. It's utterly absurd but you said it perfectly that it's a great scene about how ludicrous his character had gotten (but in a good way from the film's perspective).

Songbird, we might share our love of Showtime Lakers but our movie tastes this year are vastly different! Uncut Gems and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood were two of my favorite movies of the year, maybe my top 2 (Knives Out might edge out Uncut Gems for 2nd spot). You really disliked both, didn't you? Still we'll always have Magic dishing to Worthy on the wing.

Songbird likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Indeed, disappointed in both. I saw Once 3 times. I doubt I'll see Uncut again.

The part of Uncut Gems I liked for the first, oh 45 seconds, was when Sandler got in the car, all intense-like, and Billy Joel's The Stranger starts playing, and it felt like the scene was going places fast ... like this was going to be their version of Henry Hill's coked-out drive while he's being tailed by the helicopters ... but then it fizzled and I was like, What a waste of a good song.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. CD Boogie

Imho, that long scene with Henry, the sauce, his drug mule, and picking up his brother is the worst, most boring part of the whole movie. It’s so drawn out

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Ha! I shouldn't try to post while I'm working. For that matter, I should have gently terminated the date and gone home when he decided Rick Reilly's honor was called into question and would. not. let. it. go. Lordy.

I wish people had laughed. It would have indicated some level of engagement. The thing just left the audience wondering if it was too soon to get waffle fries at the Hate Chicken Place.

9. CD Boogie

Kind of parallels how his wife reacted to him in laughing hysterically in one scene.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

His character was out of left field.

Seems like they left much of his stuff on the cutting room floor.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

“Uncut Gems,” was, to me, entertaining in the same way a 56-49 Big 12 football game is entertaining. You know something vital is missing, but you keep watching because the frenetic pace pulls you in.

justgladtobehere likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted