1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the Nobel Prize for literature goes to. ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Oct 8, 2015.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Belarusian Svetlana Alexievich

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/09/books/svetlana-alexievich-nobel-prize-literature.html?_r=0

And with that, the award continues to be the "Nobel Prize for obscure literature" ... given, of course, to an outsider who nobody knows, from an uncivilized (as seen by a bunch of Swedes who fancy themselves progressive) non-Western country, to zing someone everyone knows (for non literary reasons) -- in this case, presumably Vladimir Putin.

I look forward to her work finding its way back into print and into the English language as the sales she never garnered before finally find her way.

In the meantime, I pray that Philip Roth, Thomas Pynchon, Don Dellilo, Joyce Carol Oates, Carmac McCarthy, etc. can work on their craft so that one day they might merit the prestigious prize.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I was hoping someone from Deadspin would win.

BDC99 and amraeder like this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just trying to sell magazines.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It's going to look pretty stupid in hindsight if Roth, Murakami, Oates, Dellilo, McCarthy, and Pynchon all die without one.

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

It's also possible she wrote a really, really good book.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Can't believe I wasn't in the running. I wrote some killer posts on here this year that I was sure would grab some attention.

Fucking politics.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Philip Roth, earlier this year, when asked about being repeatedly passed over for the prize: “I wonder if I had called ‘Portnoy’s Complaint’ ‘The Orgasm Under Rapacious Capitalism,’ if I would thereby have earned the favor of the Swedish Academy.”

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

On a site for journalists, is it so terrible that a journalist won the Nobel Prize for literature?

Besides, watching Roth publicly mash his teeth year after year over this is infinitely entertaining. A great writer but if self-regard were electricity, he'd be able to light up his beloved Newark for three months straight alone.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Roth is secretly happy he never wins it. He seems like a man more happy with an ax to grind. The hate keeps him alive.

I wish they could invite both Oates and Roth, just to see how the ceremony would go. First to gouge the other's eye out gets the prize.

Draft saved Draft deleted